𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

❧

Paul was indignant. He was angry and offended and so, so disrespected. He liked it better when Sage hated him and he hated her and of course, he still did, but there was something else there and he hated that even more. He wanted to go back to the old days where Sam hated Sage.

Sage rolled her eyes. "You are being dramatic."

"You burned my fur!" Paul said, walking beside her with the air of an affronted cat. "Like, twice!"

"I told you not to move," Sage said, bringing her hand out of her shadows. She spit on her hand and Paul gagged.

"What the actual fuck?!"

"What?" She leveled him with a look, spitting in her hand again, and rubbing the venom on her arm where her lumb was missing. "Is something the matter?"

"You're literally spitting on yourself," Paul said, gagging again. "Get that away from me! If it touches me, I'll die."

"How tragic for me," Sage responded, but she turned away from him, pressing her arm into the gluelike structure of her venom. It latched on, and she used her shadows to hold it in place while it attached itself to her again. "I didn't know wolves were not invulnerable to vampire's venom."

"Yeah, we aren't. Never have been," Paul snapped. "And, of course, you go out of your way to make sure that you fling that venom every which way you can."

"I spit on my hand, Paul."

"You want to kill me."

Sage wished she weren't walking in the woods with him right now. She wished she had never chased him down, tackled him and lit him on fire. But she had been curious and he obviously didn't mind it as much as he's complaining he did because he shifted and walked back with her.

"I sort of do," she mused, wishing she had her cloak with her. "You're naked, after all."

"Because wolves shift into clothes when they're done," Paul snarked, rolling his eyes at Sage.

She hated him.

"Why did you want to walk back, anyway?" Paul asked a moment later, just as Sage removed her shadows from her newly attached arm.

She flexed her right hand in front of her, grinning at the relief she felt when it functioned properly. "Because I didn't wish for anyone to see me attach my limb back to my body."

"And you decided to do it in front of me because?"

"You are the one who insisted on staying," Sage reminded him. "I told you to go ahead."

Paul snorted. "Yeah, and have Sam think I killed you? No, thanks. I'd actually rather be dead."

"He would not think you killed me."