Chapter 9

Damien

I watch as my sweet mate saunters out of the office, failing to hide his irritation and displeasure at the outcome of the meeting. Sighing, I turn to Monroe, who looks as exhausted as I feel. While his clothes look pristine, he physically looks drained. His cheeks are flushed, and perspiration drips down the side of his face. The poor man has gone through something extreme and rarely done. 

As an Alpha werewolf, I have the unique ability to infiltrate pack members' minds for a short duration. I used this ability the moment I saw my mate's face and sent his image to every pack member, so they were aware of their Luna. There is no such thing as open mind-links or talking to each other through our thoughts. It is not so much as open telepathy, more of skill through pack mentality that has evolved through the evolutionary DNA of werewolves. Wolves in general can sense a lot more about an individual than humans can. Through heightened intuition, the ability to hear one's blood pressure or breathing pattern, and sense of smell in order to better determine one's natural pheromones and emotions. It is no wonder why the myth of werewolves has become one of reading minds. 

Unless you are the Alpha. 

As an Alpha, part of my job is to strengthen the pack, both physically and mentally. Therefore, brief snippets such as a mental picture of an area, telling of a location, or a warning of danger, is all information I can infiltrate into the minds of my pack. Up to a short distance. However, what I did today with doctor Monroe is more on the unnatural spectrum of the living supernatural beings. 

The original intent of the meeting was to calm Brayden down and reassure him I was normal.  However, after sitting down for a short while both the doctor and I could smell my mate's growing apprehension at my presence and palpating heartbeat. I had resigned to letting Dr. Monroe lead the meeting, but quickly regretted it the more he kept talking. After only a few seconds of smelling the stench of fear emanating from my mate's disheveled state, my instincts took over. Reaching through my animalistic connection to Dr. Monroe, I pulled at the ancient strings that connected us as pack members and leaders. I will give it to the doctor, he did a good job at not appearing startled when he felt the connection being tampered with. I coaxed the words through his mouth and guided what he was saying. This took a lot of extreme focus on my part, and this type of use of pack bonds was very rarely used, as such control and authority over pack members' links was a powerful skill. Not all Alpha's are even able to do it, not to mention for the duration of the conversation we just had. But I was desperate.

And now I'm exhausted. 

I slowly stand up and feel the extent to which the bond control has taken on me as my joints are stiff seemingly everywhere. Raising my hand I rub the back of my neck and try to stretch out my sore limbs. Feeling as though my whole body has been straining, holding up an immense amount of weight for the time of our meeting. Monroe is also shaky as he stands, heavily leaning on his desk as he slowly walks around to where I'm standing. 

Gazing at the door to the office solemnly I can't help but feel somewhat excited about the tour and being close to Brayden, but also nervous as I know I will have to no doubt endure the cold shoulder treatment... 

...and that shit hurt coming from your soulmate. 

"Did you really have to tell him I lost to another fucking wolf?!" I growl lowly to Monroe, angry enough by that particular comment to let my Alpha pressure drape over him. For whatever reason, while I had tried to push the word "bear" through his mouth, the doctor had fought back and the word "wolf" came out instead.

He has the decency to flinch and bares his neck to me while his eyes remain on the carpet of his floor. The top of his greying head bowed to me.

"I'm sorry Alpha, my intent with the wolf attack was not for him to think you weaker than the opponent. Rather, I thought that if wolf vocabulary accidentally slipped among pack members while he was around, he would have no reason to be suspicious, and the reason they were talking about nearby wild wolves," he gasps out, no doubt ashamed at having disobeyed a direct order.