Chapter 18

Damien

My mate has just left. His presence made a quick departure as soon as he was permitted to go; leaving just my mother, myself, and Aiden in the room.

"You're not coming tonight," my mother says in a firm voice. Her small form stood unyielding in front of me.

"The fuck I'm not," I grit out to her.

She purses her lips, and her eyes flash with anger, "You are not invited."

I let out a loud growl, the animalistic side wanting to make its presence known after having been pushed all morning. It was not that I was fighting for control over my body. The idea that werewolves were two separate beings in the same body was another human myth. We were not one part human and one part wolf. We were something else entirely. A new species of wildlife that was able to roam both outside the forest and within. Emotions weren't triggers from the animal side, rather our emotions were as sensitive and sometimes uncontrollable as wild predators. Our very DNA was ruled by what our existence was as a whole, not in two parts.

"I don't need to be invited to my house for dinner!" I yell, raising my voice once again.

It was true. The house my parents were currently living in was the house all Alpha families were supposed to live in. It had been passed down from generation to generation for as long as this pack has been around. When the Head mated family was grown, and the succession of Alpha's took place, the house was also passed on. Just as tradition dictated, after my father passed me the title of Alpha, my parents had retired to a smaller house, while I had prepped the larger home for my upcoming mate. However, after my nervous breakdown at thirty, I had thrown the keys to the house at my parents, demanding to have their smaller one as the emptiness of the large home was too depressing to enter every day.

She levels her glare at me, "That is your father's and my house until you are mated."

I throw my head back in frustration, my body physically heated by this conversation, "Which is why I need to be there when my mate is there!" I yell at her.

I feel bad about losing my temper with my mother, but the circumstances were dire. She knows who Brayden is to me, hell the whole pack knows. Yet she has gone behind my back and has been spending time with him without my knowledge. I run my hand through my hair and close my eyes in exasperation.

"Damien," My mother sighs and reaches out her hand to touch my arm. I flinch, but don't pull away as she gives it a comforting squeeze, "Tomorrow's dinner is not social. While it is in a social setting, the purpose of this dinner is for business reasons to see if I'm a good fit with the kids."

She doesn't give any more details, and she doesn't need to. The only business that would involve my mother and the kids would be counseling.

I furrow my brow in concern. 

"Are they alright?" I ask, feeling protective of the young pups that I view as a coming addition to my small family of one.

"They are just fine, but everyone can always be better with a little help," she cautiously explains.

I instantly become irritated again, distressed at her vague answers to me, "What's going on with them? Why are you seeing Brayden every morning?" my voice is steady, but my hands feel clammy as I become anxious about what could have happened in my mate's past.

Mom instantly withdraws her hand from my arm as her lips curl into a scowl, "You know better than to ask me a question like that."

I meet her angry stare head-on, "And you should know better than to withhold information about someone else's mate. Which is a violation of the pack law."