Chapter 25

Brayden

"Did you get that Brayden?" Dr. Monroe asks, looking at me expectantly.

I flinch, startled by his sudden question.

"Uh, yes Sir," I respond, quickly scribbling down on my pad of paper what he had previously said.

The doctor sighs and studies me for a second, before reclining back into his office chair. The older man briefly assesses me before casually gesturing to the door behind me.

"I think we're done for today," he says dismissively, and I hurriedly take the opportunity to exit his office.

Only after I'm in the hall, and the door closes behind me, do I allow myself to take a breath.

It was late Tuesday night. The clock had just turned over the midnight mark, and I was already dead on my feet. I had just gotten out of one of my required learning sessions with Dr. Monroe, and my brain had become numb to all the information he was trying to give me at such a late hour. While I appreciated him wanting to take the time to personally discuss the religious requirements the hospital was under, I couldn't help but feel that most of what he was saying could have been summarized on a tri-fold pamphlet.

Or just the line, "spouses have more freedom here than at other hospitals."

According to the belief of the Lunar followers, the spouse of an individual could greatly increase the healing time of a patient. This includes, but is not limited to, exclusively giving patients their spouse's blood, allowing spouses to stay past visiting hours, and taking extra care to not let the patient or spouse hear each other in distress.

The policies really didn't bother me, and they didn't sound too crazy, but after being lectured on how to carefully calm down the crying spouse of a patient for nearly two hours, I was fried.

My current overload schedule also didn't help my exhaustion.

After church on Sunday morning, the day was filled with antsy children running around until they finally passed out at bedtime. I had then proceeded to work a late shift on both Sunday and Monday night, hoping to cushion out our funds a little bit with a few hours of overtime, but at the cost of me getting only a power nap in the last couple of days.

Worn out, I tiredly walk down the hall and head towards a nursing station in search of coffee. My rubber soles drag against the tiled floor, and I can't help but squint at the harsh fluorescent lights. I've had a headache most of the night, but within the last hour, a little pain had soon become a jackhammer pounding in my skull.

I just need a little more caffeine, then I'll be fine.

I'm relieved as I approach the nurses' station, and quickly shuffle my way behind the counter. There are a few people sitting in front of their designated monitors and those closest to me stop their work to say hello.

The coffee pot is thankfully full and I immediately grab a plastic cup eager to fill it. As I begin pouring I can't help but notice how my hands shake with the effort of this small task.

Chug it, you're fine.

Just as I put the coffee pot back and am taking my first sip, one of the nurses grabs the pitcher and begins pouring herself a cup.

"Are you doing ok tonight, Brayden?" the worker asks in a friendly tone.

I feel guilty as I have no idea who this woman is and she already knows my name. One thing I've come to notice about this hospital is that everyone here knows everyone. It didn't matter what department I was in, or what floor I happened to walk through, everyone always greeted me by name.