Prologue

Moments

Moments.

My dad says our lives are made up of them. Little spurts of time where things happen. Life changing things. Even if they're small and they don't feel like they're changing anything about our lives.

They stack up, he always says. Build onto each other until something just... I don't know, exists. You don't know how you got there or where the change came from, but you can't imagine your life without it.

I think about that a lot. Like right now, when I'm breaking into the local pool.

Something tells me my dad's wisdom on this stuff comes from a much deeper place. But that's not important right now.

Right now, it's all about this damn lock I'm trying to pick. It's the only thing standing between us and a whole lot of fun. Something tells me this moment is building onto something that will, one day, change my life forever. I'm sure of it.

At least that's what I tell myself. It's how I justify what I'm doing. And if you really think about it, if you take out the part about me breaking and entering, you can see the similarities.

All you have to do is try.

"What's taking so long, Gray? You're seriously putting a damper on this mission."

"Shut up, June."

Normally I wouldn't tell a girl to shut up. It's unkind. Not to mention, unbecoming of a gentleman like myself. But June's a different story. She's my cousin and if I don't tell her to shut up first, she'll tell me to shut up. It's kind of our thing.

There's also a good chance I'm not a gentleman at all and I'm just telling June to shut up since I could never say it to her friend, the goody two shoes from California. The one who's been griping about coming here since the moment we headed out. We should have just left her at Aunt Sadie's house.

The next thing I hear is a smug laugh. From the friend in question. "It's taking him pretty long," Mia points out with a snarky bite in her tone. "Maybe he lost his touch."

"Burn," Brandon snort laughs to my left and I shoot him a wounded look.

As my best friend, you'd think he would refrain from fraternizing with the enemy. But that's Brandon for you, never willing to pass up an opportunity to bust my balls. And he'll team up with anyone to pack an extra punch.

Even Mia Hill, buzzkill extraordinaire and constant pain in my ass. The person to whom I'd love to say shut up, but my manners and good breeding won't allow it.

Shut up, Mia.

That'll have to do. I'm much more bold in my internal thoughts.

When I spare her a glance, she slaps on a satisfied smirk, pleased with herself that she pitted my friend against me. But as much as I'd love to fire back, I turn forward and get back to work on the lock, not lingering enough to even let her see my eyes roll.