Chapter Seven

Loren sat upon the edge of her four-poster bed, a copy of the newest novel, Pride and Prejudice, held in her delicate hands. Despite the book only being published a month or two ago, the woman had read it multiple times, and each time she found something new that she loved about it. She adored the relationship between Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy, and she yearned for a love similar to theirs. Of course, she'd rather not go through with the whole 'enemies to lovers' trope, but it would add some spice to her story. She was so engrossed in her reading, that she did not realize that someone was knocking upon her door. 

It wasn't until the door was slowly pushed open, did she realize someone was calling on her. Anthony stood in the door frame, dressed in dark trousers and a thin white button up shirt. His thick chestnut hair was messy, most likely stemming from running his hand through it repeatedly. "Do you mind if I come in?" He asked. Loren nodded as she closed her book, not bothering to mark her page. Anthony quietly shut the door behind him as he entered the room. He then approached the bed, "Can I sit?" Loren nodded again, scooting over slightly so Anthony could sit. The mattress dipped slightly beneath the added weight but neither of them cared. They both knew that this talk needed to happen and both were desperate to get rid of the awkward tension between them.

Anthony spoke first, clearing his throat as he averted eye contact, "Well, I'd first like to apologize for my behavior tonight." He paused, gathering his thoughts, "I was being rude, and it was not fair to you. You were just being a good friend and looking out for me, and instead of appreciating your concern, I took offense to it. I shouldn't have reacted the way I did, therefore I am apologizing for it." A soft smile spread across Loren's lips, "Anthony, look at me, please." 

And he did. He locked eye contact with the woman, guilt and sadness clouding his dark eyes. The sight shattered Loren's heart, for she had never seen the man look so vulnerable and broken.

"Anthony, I forgive you. Something was obviously bothering you tonight, and you just reacted in the wrong way. And even though you are the man of the house, I am always going to look out for you, no matter how much you sometimes get on my nerves." Loren said, trying to reassure him that everything between them was now alright. The man nodded, but Loren knew that he hadn't fully forgiven himself for his behavior. It wasn't even that big of a deal overall, he was just having an off day. But Anthony had never snapped at Loren, and that is why he was guilty. He had let Sienna's words affect him, and now he was contemplating all that he had ever known. 

"Loren, might I ask you something?" Anthony asked softly. "Of course, ask me anything." The woman replied. Anthony cleared his throat again, "Why is it-why is it that you never made your debut into society?" He questioned, his thoughts wandering to the conversation he'd had with Sienna and the ideas of the future that stemmed from it. 

Loren arched an eyebrow, "What an interesting question." She said with a dry chuckle. Anthony waited patiently for a response, it was only then did she realize that Anthony was genuinely curious. "Wait, are you serious?" She asked, to which Anthony nodded.

The woman thought for a moment before responding, understanding that this was a touchy subject, "I never found a reason too. When it was my time to enter society, well, Edmund had just pasted," She noticed that Anthony had flinched slightly, but nodded for her to continue, "Violet was in mourning, and needed to be cared for. And so I took it upon myself to help. After all, your mother and father had taken me in, it was the least I could do."

"And then time pasted and things began to seem better. I remember Violet asking me if I wanted to make my debut, and I did consider it. But then I had a dream. It was short-lived, but it has stuck with me ever since that day." She said.