Chapter 11

Travis hoisted his bag up higher on his shoulders. It was the next day, and he had NO IDEA how to greet or interact with Sal. He stopped at the front door of the school, taking a deep breath. Someone behind him shoved his shoulder, prompting him to swallow the anxiety building in his throat and push open the door.

He walked in the door and made his way to his locker. As he put his bag up on the hooks, he caught a glance of a certain blue-haired boy down the hall at his own locker. Travis felt his heart jump into his throat as he flushed red, quickly grabbing the books he needed out of his locker and slamming it shut.

He turned left and started speedily walking down the hallway. Oh shit, he thought. My class is this way, but... I'll have to pass Sal. He stopped for a moment, shuffling his shoes as he tried to decide where to go, but he was too late. Sal slammed his own locker shut and turned, looking up and making eye contact with Travis staring at him from a couple feet away. Travis stared back at him, his face bright red. Sal's eyes scrunched up under his mask as he grinned and waved, walking up to Travis. Travis was frozen in place, wanting to just melt into the ground.

Oh God, oh no he's coming over! What do I say? What- what do I DO? I don't-

"Hey Travis, what's up?" Sal said, stopping in front of Travis, who stood stiff as a board.

"Uh.. Hi! Yes, hello! I'm- uhm, I-I am doing great! Thanks! How- how are you?"

Idiot.

"Ha, I'm doing fine, thanks," Sal said. He cocked his head to the side as he looked up at Travis. "Hey, are you okay? You look a bit rough, do you need anything?"

"Uh- no, I'm perfectly fine! I'm just- uhm-" Travis racked his brain for an excuse as to why he looked like a human tomato. He sighed and looked down, relaxing his shoulders. "I'm... nervous, I'm sorry."

Oh shit, Sal thought, staring at the nervous mess of a boy in front of him. Sweat was beading on Travis's brow, as he ran his hand through his bright blond hair. He was blushing so brightly.

He's really fucking cute.

"It's okay!" Sal said, offering his hand out to Travis. "Wanna go somewhere a bit quieter? It might help. I happen to know of a few empty classrooms."

Travis stared at Sal blankly as he grinned, before Sal realized what he had said.

"Oh no, not for like, BAD reasons, just because- uhm, I do NOT break the rules, I promise, I just happen to know of... empty classrooms."

Travis laughed at Sal's attempt at covering his mischief, relaxing a bit. Sal smiled weakly. He was glad Travis wasn't freaking out as much anymore. He had a really nice laugh. Sal wasn't sure if he'd seen Travis genuinely smile or laugh before yesterday.

He offered his hand again, and this time Travis hesitantly took it. He lead Travis through a couple hallways before they reached a dark classroom. Sal took him inside and shut the door behind them, walking to the opposing wall and sliding down to the floor. Travis stood awkwardly, stepping gingerly across the floor and crouching down to the right of Sal.

"So, you feeling any better?" Sal asked.

"Yeah, it's just... lots of people, you know?" Travis said, leaning back onto the wall and knocking his head back against it with his eyes closed. Sal frowned under his mask and looked up at Travis.

"Hey," he said, putting his hand on Travis's. "It's alright. I gotcha. The halls are absolute chaos."

Travis's face burned red. He put his other hand over his mouth, turning away and staring into the empty classroom. He nodded silently. Sal chuckled and leaned a bit closer, hesitantly leaning his head on Travis's shoulder. His heart stopped for a moment. Sal felt Travis tense up under him for a second, before relaxing and slowly leaning over into Sal.

The two sat on the floor in silence for a bit, hands interlocked. Sal's blue hair brushed against Travis's jaw. Travis pulled his hand away from Sal's, but as Sal tried pushing himself away to ask what happened, Travis put his arm around his shoulders. Sal stopped before slowly moving closer. He leaned into Travis, finally relaxing and shutting his eyes. He pushed his face against Travis's chest.

Holy shit, holy shit, I did it, Travis thought. Oh God, my heart is pounding, he's so soft?? What do I do now? I want to hold him. This isn't right. Oh my gosh. He smells good. Father would be so disappointed. I want to hold him closer, I want to stay here forever, I want to kiss-

"Trav?" Sal's quiet voice broke through Travis's cluttered thoughts. "Are you alright? You're really tense."

"Huh? Uh, yeah! I am perfectly.. fine. 100%. Just- Lots of, uh, thoughts, many things, too many words," Travis spluttered out. Sal smiled warmly and continued looking up at him, gazing into his eyes. Travis couldn't make himself look away.

Sal's eyes were gorgeous. Like a million sapphires glimmering, like the ocean waves crashing against the shore, like rain pattering against a window. Travis leaned a bit closer. He slowly raised a hand to Sal's face, caressing the side of his prosthetic gently. Sal's eyes widened a bit, but he didn't pull away.

The touch was so... gentle. As if he were made of porcelain, so delicate and perfect. Travis leaned even closer. They were only a few inches apart. Sal began breathing heavier. He raised his hand to Travis's, rubbing the back of his hand with his thumb. He inched his hand down the side of his mask and hitched the bottom upwards, revealing his lips.

Travis couldn't see the details too clearly in the darkened classroom, only vaguely making out darkened and lightened patches of skin around his mouth. He slowly leaned in, inch by inch, until he could feel Sal's heavy breath against his face. Sal's lips brushed against his. Only a bit further.

He softly pushed himself the last bit forwards. Their lips met. Travis gently pulled Sal's face closer to his. Sal moved his hand to Travis's face, gently moving his thumb back and forth across his cheek. Light touches, like craving more but being too scared to go further. The two boys sat like that for a bit, just wanting. Wanting each other more than anything.

Word count: 1106 words