Pub Skirmish

She was depresed. When she finally returned home, it was already evening. Mark was watching TV, looking bored. She sat down on the sofa next to him,  and looked at the bottle of beer on the table. Mark reached for the bottle, took a sip, and put it back on the table.

'' Another unsuccssesful audition?'' he asked and yawned.

"Yes," she laid her head on his shoulder and he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close.

'' As my wife, you wouldn't have to embarrass yourself at any audition." When she heard the word embarrass, she rolled her eyes. She didn't know he thought it was embarrassing, mostly he called it a waste of time.

''Actually, you wouldn't have to work at all, I'd take care of you.''

''Thanks Mark, I'll  think about it'' she said ironically

She closed her eyes and sighed. Mark kissed her hair, and stroked her shoulder. He kept hoping that she would realize that he was the best one for her. They just sat there and hugged for a while. She thought about her life, the pressure was too much for her. She couldn't take it anymore. She jumped to her feet.

'' We should go somewhere''

''And where do you want to go?'' He asked, taking another drink.

'' It doesn't matter. I just want to get drunk." She said, staring at the bottle again.

He raised an eyebrow and laughed.

''Okey, let's go.''

They both changed clothes. Melinda wore a low-cut ink dress and high heels. Mark put on a black denim shirt, jeans and in a moment they were on their way to their favorite pub.

''Will you tell me about the audition?" He asked, putting a hand on her shoulder. He was interested in everything she was interested in, even if it seemed ridiculous to him.

''They wanted someone with small boobs. So my boobs weren't good for them. So I walked out of the audition without even playing the part." She said and looked up at the dark clouds above them.

''I like your boobs.... a lot..'' he said and tried to put his hand on her boobs.

''Stop it!'' She yelled, punching him in the stomach.

'' Behave yourself, or I'll break your arm." She said and they both burst out laughing.

They had a huge fun in the pub. They drank beer and ate pizza. After the third beer she went to the toilet.

'' Hey, beautiful, you want a drink?" A drunk man sitting at the bar shouted at her.

She didn't even look at him. He was sitting on a small bar stool, his hand resting on the bar counter. An old lecher in a wrinkled jacket, an ugly tie hanging around his neck. Next to him sat a poor fellow like him. They both laughed and drank. On the way back he slapped her ass, she froze, looked at his ugly drunken face and felt sick. His drunken friend laughed. The blood in her body began to boil, she didn't think, she just slapped him as hard as she knew. He remained stunned and his friend laughed again. She wanted to leave, but he grabbed her hand and pulled her closer to him.

''I like wild cats, sit here'' he said and looked at his krotch '' and I'll buy you a drink, and if you're nice...''

''Leave me alone or I'll rearrange your face!'' she said trying to look dangerous.

They both laughed again and he pulled her even closer. She looked around and saw Mark approaching. She took a glass of beer from the bar counter and smashed it over his head. The bartender yelled at them to bug out. He was shocked, his friend shouted something, but she didn't understand him. He poked her and she fell on her ass. Mark punched him, and the man who had been harassing Melinda punched Mark. She punched him and it was a really tragic comic situation and when it was over Mark and Melinda were sitting on the pavement outside the pub. Mark wiped his bloody lips with his finger. Melinda put her hand on her cheek. It hurt and it was red. The irony was that it was Mark's fault. It was like a slow motion movie, Mark's eyes bulging and his mouth wide open. He tried to punch one of the men, but hit Melinda's face. Luckily it was only a gentle slap, because if he had hit her full force, she would have been lying on the ground unconscious. They looked at each other, stood up, wrapped their arms around each other's waists and walked home. Along the way, they were amused by what had just happened.Near the house, they laughed at a man who fell to the ground when he slipped on the beer Melinda had poured in his face. The fight ended with the bartender throwing them out of the pub.