Birthday Party

It was early in the morning, she stood at the window, wonder if Max would send her flowers again. She was going to Amber's birthday party today. She wanted to go to the hairdresser. Just as she left the house, a florist's van pulled up on the road. Her heart raced. A blond boy walked towards her with a huge bouquet of white roses. She returned to the house. Mark was sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee. She put the roses in a vase and read the card. 

''See you tonight, Max''

They will meet tonight. The idea excited her. She couldn't wait, she had to look perfect tonight. Mark read the card and got nervous. He thought about Mel and Max meeting today. And, that Melinda wouldn't be able to resist him. The hairdresser curled her hair and made her look like a wild cat, smokey eyes and blood red lipstick was her gun. She wore a deep neckline black minidress and hung a chain around her neck with a heart-shaped pendant that Mark had given her. She slipped on a pair of black high-platform shoes and slung a small black glittery handbag over her shoulder. She put on a croptop white coat with fake feathers peeking out on each side, and sprayed on her favourite floral scent. She looked sexy and fierce and she was sure Max wouldn't be able to resist her. She took a taxi and after a long drive stood in front of Amber's house.  After a while Amber came out of the house, wearing a dark green dress with a big long skirt and looking gorgeous. She had a golden crown in her hair.

''The driver's sick'' she said boredly, shoving the car keys into her hands.

They got in a huge red SUV and drove off. Melinda had driven Amber's luxury car a couple of times and it was one of the best feelings.

''You look like a princess'' said Melinda

'' And you're sexy, Max will really like you'' said Amber and looked smug

''what did you actually tell him about me?''

'' Everything'' she smiled and turn on the GPS.

When they finally arrived, Melinda was stunned. They stood in front of a small castle surrounded by a river that encircled the entire castle.

''So that's why the dress''  Melinda said.

''What do you think?'' Amber asked her.

''That an employee shouldn't insult his employer''

They went in and looked around. They were in a huge hall, the floor and walls were made of stone, there were torches burning on the walls, and on the big windows were thick dark red curtains. The whole hall was ready for Amber party. There was a dance floor, tables with white tablecloths and ancient wooden chairs. On one side there were tables with food, snacks and sweets and on the other side there was a big bar counter with three bartenders and a lots of alcohol. In the middle of the hall there was a big dj desk. The guests gradually arrived, entering through the large entrance gate and greeting Amber. Melinda stood off to the side and nodded a greeting to everyone. She waited for Max to arrive, but he didn't.  Amber stood up to the dj desk and welcomed everyone once again with a short speech about how glad she was to have them there with her. She made sure everyone saw her and was all envious of her. The party got going, everyone was having a great time and competing to see who could flatter Amber the best. They drank, laughed and danced. Of course, everyone gave Amber some amazing gift. Amber forbade Melinda to buy her any gift, saying she was the best gift she could get. Because Melinda was, in her words, the best assistant in the world. Melinda wasn't having that much fun. She talked to anyone who was willing to talk to her. It was London's glitterati, cream of society, celebrities, high-profile people and her. An ordinary girl from the orphanage, an assistant. The best assistant. A few guys were looking at her and she thought if she came closer she could see them drooling. Some of them asked her out for a drink, but she turned them down. She was only here for one guy, but he hasn't come yet. Around midnight, she gave up, she sat down on a bar stool, ordered a soft drink, and surveyed the guests. She resigned herself to the fact that Max wasn't coming, and then Amber spoke up from the middle of the room.