Paris I

It was early evening when she woke up. She slowly walked to the kitchen, poured some cereal into a bowl, poured warm milk over it and sat down at the table. She was hungry and immediately started eating. Mark sat down across from her and watched her carefully. She looked content and smiled. He thought about what had happened yesterday at the party between her and Max. It was eating at him, but he wasn't sure he wanted to know.

''So, how was the party?'' he asked, but it didn't sound friendly

''Great, I had fun'' she said, laughing at something only she knew about.

It made him a little uncomfortable and angry

''What about Max? Did you give him everything he wanted?'' he asked irritably

''Yes...'' she said measuredly

Mark stood up so quickly that the chair he was sitting on tipped over and he walked to his room. She felt anger. They're just friends, he can't act like this. He can't be jealous.. but maybe he's just worried about her... Suddenly she was sorry for it. She knocked on the door of his room. 

'' What do you want ?''

'' May I come in?''

''Yes...'' he said after a while 

He sat on the bed and looked out the window. She sat down beside him and put her hand on his cheek. She pressed and made him look into her eyes. They looked at each other for a moment. Mark wanted her to feel how much he loved her and how much he was suffering for her. It was excruciating to be with her every day and know that she would never be his. 

''Shall we go out to eat together?'' she asked him, hoping they would make up quickly, as they always did.

Mark sat quietly for a moment, just looking at her. Finally he sighed and nodded. She smiled at him, stroked his cheek and left the room. She had just walked into her room when she got a text from Max.

-Hi Mel, I have a business meeting tomorrow at a beautiful place I'd like to show you. If you agree, I'll pick you up at 9:00 in the morning. Max-

- Of course, I can't wait- she wrote back

She needs to get her act together. Bath, relax and everything that goes with it to look great in the morning. She wanted to cancel the dinner with Mark and stay at home, but he was ready to leave. They sat in a restaurant and dined on meat and baked potatoes. Melinda's mind was on Max and she wasn't paying attention to Mark at all. When they got home, she ran straight to the bathroom. She was lying in the bathtub wondering where they were going to go and what she was going to wear. She braided curlers into her hair and couldn't wait for morning. She was lying in bed thinking about Max. She got up early in the morning, running her hands through her curled hair. She applied green eyeshadow, black mascara and put a subtle lipstick on her lips. She puts on a red strapless dress with a skirt just above her knees. Time went slowly. She walked around the house, around the garden. Finally, she lay down on her bed and looked at her mobile. It was half past nine. She heard Mark come out of his room. She thought about the fact, that she had to finally move out of here. Finally stop just talking about it and do it. Already today, as soon as she returns here, she would start looking for her own place to be. Something small and ugly in the wrong place she'll definitely be able to afford. She will finally have what she has always wanted. A home of her own, just for herself. A whole apartment all to herself. And for Max... And Mark will move on with his life, too. Yes, that's exactly what he needs to do. She was so preoccupied that she didn't even hear the ringing and knocking. Mark opened the door. He stood facing Max. He was wearing a dark blue t-shirt, black pants, and had his glasses on.