3. 'He Replies.'

No longer able to bear the psychological turmoil, Austin's taunting, and both Maya and Austin's molestations, Deneo decides to write to Lucky again. Her sister has given her her old phone so she's able to set up a new Instagram account without issue.

Deneo wants to start off on a clean slate. Writing to Lucky again will give her a sense of purpose in life.Ever since she's been diagnosed she's had difficulty hearing. Even though she wants to start teaching again - more than anything - she's hindered by this disability. Writing is not only cathartic to her, it's basically all she can do.

"Hi Lucky," she begins her message, recounting the strange coincidences bringing them together. 

And every day after that she writes him the same message reading: I hope I'm not bothersome, but please may you read the first message I've sent you.

In twelve days Deneo's heart races seeing an inbox from @luckybsmith. Hardly believing it's truly him she reads through the message twice. It reads: "I went through the entire text. I'm sorry for what you've gone through and I hope your psychosis dies out in time. Unfortunately I cannot help you. I'm a happily married man and I find your address inappropriately suggestive. All I can do is wish you well in your endeavours from here on out. Best." 

Deneo senses the lakes at her eye beds. She's not sure if these are tears of joy, from him having replied, or pain, from the rebuff. 

Deneo never took rejection well. The guy she almost dated had rejected her about the same way that Lucky just did. Now she nurses the double blow.

Another message, she then thinks. Just one more. If he doesn't see her as a prospective wife, can't he at least assist her in publishing her book? 

What book? She deleted all four of them!

Deneo decides to write a fifth one. Including his recent reaction to her and some projected encounters thereafter. She makes it explicit that she's not trying to supplant Nara but to supplement her. The ending sees Nara accepting Deneo as part of their peculiar family.

In a message Deneo writes: "Please do not freak out but I've written another story and hope you can go over it and let me know what you think in a reply. I am sure that it would be a waste not to make something of this connection that we share. It doesn't have to end in marriage. You can just further my career objectives." And she adds a link to the story.

In two days Deneo receives the response: I'm busy. I have two babies and a wife at home. Find someone else, please.Please? Like a dog on a bone Deneo seeks to exploit his sympathies. "In life sometimes you have to forsake your will to do God's work. Be malleable Lucky. Don't chase away this once in a lifetime opportunity," she writes convinced this will do it.In two weeks and Lucky hasn't said a thing Deneo feeling hopeless nonetheless resends her last message.In a day Lucky has written: "Stop."

Shaken Deneo doesn't send another message.She would cry if she were ever alone.

Moping around for days her sister notices there's something more than the usual that's got her upset. Deneo comes clean and it's a burden lifted. Her sister sympathises. She also encourages her saying there's nothing stopping her from sending her work on other portals.A desire is ignited. She polishes the story and publishes it on Wattpad. If the book gains traction her blues would for the most part be swept away.

May 1st, on a Sunday, Deneo can't believe her eyes but she's received not one but two messages from @luckybsmith. The first says "I'm sorry," plain and simple.The second reads: I've thought about all that you've written to and about me and I'd be happy to offer my help to you in the form of an endorsement. But only if you change the ending, you and I remaining something like business associates. I'll add a link to your website, if you have one, on my profile. And I'll also leave a video on YouTube discussing the story, where one can find it, etc. 

How does that sound?

Deneo squelches a scream. She's over the moon about this news and cannot wait to share it with her sister forgetting to reply and his request to change the ending.

Her sister is stoked for her and tells to accept without wasting time. And so she does typing: Hi Lucky. Your offers are more than kind. I accept them both.

"Great," he sends in less than a day and Deneo can't help but get excited. But she grows anxious too. What's to happen from here on out? Could she really change the ending she's worked so hard towards? Won't this compromise her belief in God having ordained this, surely it is Him and no one else who's coupled them the way he has.