You Are In Love

"Oh, shit," he gasps, jolting up into a sitting position. He's not scared, not awake because of some nightmare, but his heart races just the same. He can't remember the dream, but the effect lasts just the same. He looks over as he feels you shift next to him, you're still sound asleep. The realization hits him like a truck. And the memories just start playing back in his head:

-

He's driving Sam's car, you in the passenger seat. In his peripheral, he sees you reach for the volume, turning it up. The wind whips your hair around and you have to keep brushing it back. It still doesn't stop you from singing along to the radio at the top of your lungs. You keep egging him on, but he just affectionately rolls his eyes and focuses on the road. He started singing with you only after a few more minutes of pestering.

-

"You're my best friend," you whisper, laying down in his bed right next to him.

"Mm.." he hums sleepily. "Don't let Sam hear you say that."

-

"Look!" you twirl. "I got a new dress."

"Yeah," Bucky remarks, his mouth suddenly dry.

"And it has pockets!"

"Is that a new dress?" Wanda exclaims, walking in the room right behind you."I love it!"

"Thank you! And look, it has pockets!"

"Is that something girls care about, whether a dress has pockets or not?" Sam mumbles to Bucky, who's still watching you talk to Wanda with your animated hand gestures, wide grin, the way you'd throw your head back laughing.

"Bucky?" Sam questions when Bucky remains silent.

"Bucky," Sam repeats, this time with a sharp elbow to his side.

"Huh?" Bucky says, jolting out of his trance. Sam wordlessly shakes his head at the super soldier with a knowing chuckle.

-

"What the hell are you guys doing?" Bucky asks as a Nerf dart flies right past his face. "How freaking old are you guys?"

"Ceasefire," Sam calls, a little too serious for a man holding a bright orange Nerf gun.

"Sorry Mr. Bucky," Peter winces. "I was aiming for Sam."

"Speaking of," Sam adds, firing his toy, hitting Peter in the very center of his forehead.

"Hey!" Peter points in accusation. "You called a ceasefire."

Sam shrugs. "All's fair in love and war."

"You should play with us! We've got an extra," you exclaim, popping up from behind the couch.

Bucky sighs dejectedly."They've roped you into this too?"

"Come on, it's fun," you add, waving him over to join you.

"No."

"Come on, Mr. Bucky!" Peter pleads.

Between your overdramatic pleading expression and Peter's begging, Bucky actually hesitates. When you see Bucky's resolve wearing down, you start playfully chanting, "One of us, one of us..."

"No, " he repeats with less conviction, though now Peter has joined in on your little chant. "Ugh...fine."

You and Peter cheer as Bucky picks up the spare Nerf gun and points it at Sam.