Chapter 9

I stay sitting in front of the fan for a while. I hear Pierson's breathing become deeper and deeper.

I glance back at him to see he is in the middle of the bed. His chest is moving up and down at a steady rate. I slowly rise off the bed and turn around to look at him. He hasn't moved and his breathing remains the same, from what I can tell.

I move over the door and pull it slowly. It opens it just enough so I can slip out. Once out of the room I bolt down the stairs and try to open the sliding door, but it won't budge. I race to the front door, which won't open either. I sidestep over to the window in the living room and slide it up. The second the window slides up; an alarm starts blaring through the entire house.

I freeze.

I hear Pierson racing down the stairs.

I climb out the window and run around the house to the backyard. I dart into the woods and take off.

"KAYDENCE," he screams.

This has to lead somewhere. All main the roads probably lead back to the front gate.

I push myself to keep running even when my lungs are on fire. The moon is bright, so I follow it hoping it will guide the way.

I slow down to a walk to catch my breath. I hear a twig snap behind me.

I dart to the nearest tree and lean against it.

I try to quiet my breathing by holding my hand over my mouth.

I hear the howling of a wolf. It sounds close. A shiver runs down my spine. I dart away from the tree and keep running. I hit something hard. I fall down and realize a wolf has just blocked my path and knocked me straight on my ass.

I stare up into its brown eyes. 

I scoot away and it follows me. It comes over to me and sniffs me, then howls again.

Its wet nose comes in contact with my face making me realize it's Pierson. Its nose sends a powerful shock through my entire body paralyzing me.  

"Pierson?" I ask. It turns its head at me.

"Don't be mad. I just can't," I'm cut off by growling. I flinch away from him and stand up and hold my hands up in surrender. I then hear another growl from behind me. I turn around to see a wolf with green eyes baring his teeth at us.

I turn back and look between the two. I back up and they are face to face.

Then before my eyes Pierson is back in human form.

"Shift," he tells the wolf with brown eyes. I cover my eyes, because he's naked.

Pierson's hand is removing mine from my face and he is now back in his grey shorts.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

"Mine," a voice from behind us claims.

I look up but am then shielded by Pierson.

"She is mine," Pierson growls.

"She's not marked," the other man growls back.

"She's my mate Egan. The future Luna of Starlight," Pierson declares.

Egan?

EGAN. The Alpha of the Moonlight pack.

"Let me see her," Egan demands.

"We are going back to Starlight," Pierson growls while taking my hand and pulling me with him.

I glance over to Egan.

He looks like the picture they showed of him in class.

He's slightly taller than Pierson with tan skin and dark brown hair. His caramel eyes pierce into mine making me unable to shift my gaze away.

Pierson picks up his pace and I tear my eyes away from Egan's caramel ones to keep up with him.

Egan is in front of us in a flash, blocking Pierson from moving forward.

Egan stares at me with admiration.

"I'm not mistaken," he practically whispers while reaching out and cupping my face with his hand.

"Don't touch her," Pierson growls while pushing me behind him.

A growl rips through Egan's throat when Pierson does so.

"She is my mate," Egan roars.

"She does have two mates," Pierson frustratedly runs his hand through his light brown hair.

Does?

"Evidently," Egan remarks. I run my hand up and down my arms as the tears roll down my face.

It's freezing out here and what the hell is happening? Am I dreaming?

Pierson grabs me into him so my face is against his chest. He breathes in deeply while rubbing his hands up and down my back.

I instantly feel warmer.

"She's freezing. I'll take her back to my house and we can discuss this in the morning," Pierson insists.

"No. My house is closer. You are in Moonlight territory," Egan argues.

"She doesn't know you, she's coming back with me," Pierson coldly shoots back while picking me up and walking past him.

"She ran from you," he scoffs while blocking our path once again.

I sigh and wiggle out of Pierson's hold. He sets me down, but grabs my hand.

"I want to go to bed," I tell no one in particular, but begin walking forward.

"Come with me. My house is close," Egan insists while holding out a hand to me. My heart almost leaps out of my chest telling me to take Egan's hand.

I shake my head and tighten my grip on Pierson's hand.

"I want to go with Pierson," I say while looking over at him.

His green eyes light up.

"You heard her," he says to Egan while once again walking with me.

"Fine. Tomorrow," Egan says through a clenched jaw. He then disappears into the woods.

We walk a little way saying nothing.

"It will be faster if you get on my back," Pierson comments.

I nod and jump on his back.

He runs through the woods and I burry my head in his neck.

Before I know it, we are back at the window I climbed out of. I climb back through it and Pierson follows me behind me.

He shuts the window and then takes my hand and leads me back upstairs. Once in his room he shuts the door and lays back down in bed. I sit next to him.

He pulls me down and into his chest.

"Do you understand what just happened?" he asks.

"No," I whisper.

"You are one of the rare humans that have two Alpha mates," he tells me while tightening his grip on me.

"I'm sorry," I whisper while tears stream down my face.

Pierson turns me so we are face to face.

"Egan is a guest speaker in class next week. This was inevitable," Pierson replies while wiping my tears with his thumb.

I let that sink in.

Pierson pulls me to his chest once again and I fall asleep listening to his heartbeat.

______________________________

Alpha Egan?

Much Love,

A.Lynn