Chapter 16

Keelie and I are sitting back in the lecture hall. From what I can tell we missed nothing.

Egan didn't even miss a beat when we returned. He just kept lecturing on and on and on.

The doors to the lecture hall opened making Egan briefly glance up. He pauses, but quickly recovers and continues to talk about going into "heat."

I look over to see Pierson coming down the aisle with two iced coffees. My mouth drops a little in surprise, I didn't think he was serious about going to get us Starbucks.

He reaches us and I smile at him.

"Thanks," I whisper while handing one to Keelie.

"Thanks Pierson," she smiles. He nods and then sits next to me.

"You're staying?" I whisper.

"Pay attention," he tells me while grabbing my hand and stroking it with his thumb.

I look back to Egan who is staring at my hand in Pierson's. I pull my hand from his and begin to type notes on my laptop just to give me something to do.

Pierson rests his hand on my knee making me shoot him a warning glance.

"Once that happens then the mating process is complete," Egan finishes. "Please submit the three steps we talked about today by next lecture," he closes.

I glance over at Keelie's laptop to see she her notes:

'Step 1: Mark

Step 2: Heat

Step 3: Mate'

I type the same thing into my word document and glance over at Pierson. He's smirking at what I typed.

"Is that right?" I ask him.

He nods. I press save and close my laptop.

I take a deep breath as I watch everyone begin to make their way out of the lecture hall.

I put my laptop in my backpack and get out of my chair. Pierson takes my suitcase and rolls it to the end of the row.

"See you later Kayde," Keelie smiles while pulling me in for a hug.

"Bye Keels," I reply. I watch her leave and then it is just Pierson, Egan, and me left in the room.

Egan is finishing putting his materials away.

I glance down to the front of the room at him. He has been so calm and collected. He hasn't cornered me like Pierson and he didn't run after me when I left earlier.

I turn back to Pierson who is watching me watch Egan. This is an impossible situation.

"I can take it from here," Egan says. I feel him grab my hand and I almost pull away at the sparks shooting up my entire arm. I don't. I let him hold my hand.

Pierson nods.

"I will see you next Friday," Pierson replies.

"Okay," I say, but I'm looking at Egan's hand in mine. It fits so well. His tan hand is big you can barely see mine. His hand is safe, the sparks are strong

"Ready?" Egan asks while pulling me forward.

I nod and follow behind him. He grabs my suitcase with his other hand and we climb the rest of the stairs and walk through the door.

Once we get into the parking lot Egan stops in front of a big black truck. He puts my suitcase in the back and I climb into the passenger seat. I strap the seatbelt around me just as Egan slides in the driver's seat.