Chapter 16

Elena walked into the room after convincing her siblings to give her and Niklaus privacy. If he noticed she entered the room, he made no sign of showing it. Elena slowly made her way across the room, trying to fight the dizziness that has been weighing on her.

"Niklaus." She said once she was finally in front of him.

Niklaus startled at the sound of her voice, looking up at her with wide eyes.

"You– You're awake."

Elena nodded at him as she took in his appearance.

He had dark circles underneath his eyes, his skin was pale, and his hair was tangled– if not matted. She couldn't help the frown that appeared on her face.

Elena sat down on the side of Niklaus, slowly wrapping her arms around him.

"Mother told me what happened... that Henrik–" Elena paused, searching her brother's face.

"Elena–"

Elena turned her head away in an attempt to ignore the pain in his eyes.

"It is not your fault... what happened that day–"

"You're wrong, Sister. I should have never– you told us not to– that you had a bad feeling–"

"It is not your fault, because it is mine. I could have stopped it, Niklaus... I was there, but–"

Pain surged through Elena's body as she grasped her head.

Niklaus looked at Elena with panic in his eyes, unsure of what to do.

Once the pain had gone away, Elena looked up at her brother with teary eyes.

"I can't– I can't remember–"

Niklaus brings her closer to him as the tears fell down her face.

"Shhh." Niklaus whispered as he wrapped his arms around his sister.

"Why can't I remember?" Elena muttered.

Somewhere in between the tears and the comforting words, Elena fell asleep. He hadn't realized he, too, had been crying until he touched his face.

Niklaus made a silent promise to himself that day.

That he would become stronger– not only for himself but for everyone he loved.