24: For Good Luck

The order had been given. The paratroopers were being locked into an airfield ahead of the impending invasion of Europe. Charlie didn't know which airfield - it could have been just around the corner or all the way up in Scotland for all she knew - but she understood the need for secrecy.

What she didn't understand was why the nurses weren't going with them.

The nurses' orders were to help with packing up the medical supplies and see to any last minute medical checks before the boys were on the road and out of their care. Such medical checks had so far only consisted of upset stomachs (stress) and headaches (hangovers). Otherwise, everyone was healthy, but even if they weren't, none of them were going to back out now.

Charlie could see they were scared as they hurried around, packing up everything they needed in advance of leaving. That was what worried her more than anything. She didn't want any of them to leave afraid.

Still, there was nothing for it. She was powerless in this situation. All she could do was help when any of them came to her for something and otherwise pack up medical supplies.

"Charlie," Mabs whisper yelled as the pair of them packed up some of the medics' bandages.

Charlie was jolted out of her reverie when Mabs nudged her. Looking up, Charlie found Mabs pointing somewhere over Charlie's shoulder, and she followed the gesture to find Eugene Roe struggling to lift too many boxes into a truck by himself.

"Go," Mabs whispered, gently pushing her in his direction. "This'll be your last chance before we go overseas."

Hesitating, Charlie turned back to Mabs to look at her. She didn't find any teasing in her eyes, just encouragement. "Charlie," she said seriously. "Go."

With only a moment's more hesitation, Charlie pushed up from where she'd been sitting on the cobblestones and picked her way between crates and boxes up to Gene. When she got to him she took the top two boxes off of his pile, granting him back his vision.

She offered him a shy smile. "I thought you could use some help," she said by way of explanation.

He nodded, a shy smile of his own tugging at his lips. "Thanks." He inclined his head in the direction of the truck. "I'm just loadin' 'em in there."

Charlie nodded and followed him over to the truck, then carefully loaded them in with his help. When his hand accidentally brushed against hers in the process she blushed and looked away, and when she looked back he was walking over to get more boxes. Sighing, Charlie followed.

"Are you nervous?" she ventured as they deposited the next set of boxes onto the truck.

Gene shrugged, avoiding eye contact. "I guess."

"I would be," Charlie told him.

"Just don't know what to expect," he explained, taking a box from her and placing it neatly with the others.

Charlie nodded. "That makes sense."

He didn't say anything else, a man of few words as he was, and they loaded the next few boxes into the truck in silence. Eventually, sick of trying to decide what to say, she confessed, "We don't know when we'll be sent after you." When he didn't immediately react, she elaborated, "Me and the other nurses, I mean."

Gene nodded, shooting her a quick, sombre glance. "Prob'ly for the best," he said quietly, and promptly turned back to his work.

"Yeah," Charlie mumbled.

When they finished loading the final few boxes into the truck, Gene shut the back doors firmly. He turned to Charlie with a smile and a quiet, "Thanks."