41: Here and There

Right before the paratroopers were about to get into the planes to jump into France, the entire thing was called off. Charlie didn't know why - Henry never passed the reason on - but cancelled jump or not, it had now become abundantly clear that their days in Aldbourne were numbered. If the company could be ordered to jump into combat with less than twelve hours' notice then not a single day could be squandered.

This thought must have occurred to Captain Winters, for the paratroopers' training picked up significantly thereafter, largely for the benefit of the replacements. It was through Skip, Alex, Malarkey, and Alton that Charlie heard all about their ineptitude, how their lack of proper long-term training meant that they weren't anywhere near ready for combat. It was also through them that she found out that the replacements weren't nearly as impudent with the men as they had been with the women; while some were flirts and others were downright rude, with the veterans they were as good as gold, all wide-eyed wonder and wanting to impress.

Charlie wished she could say this fact surprised her, but it didn't. Officers or otherwise, nurses were to the inexperienced soldier what the girls they'd known back home had been: opportunities to get laid, or otherwise not of use.

As the men's training picked back up, so did the amount of time they spent in the pub. It had been a sobering reminder for everyone that they could be shoved out of civilian life and back into combat at the drop of a hat, and everyone wanted to make the most of it. For this same reason, Charlie found herself in the pub too most evenings. Knowing now what it would be like when she got back out there, she couldn't justify not taking every opportunity to have fun and be young whenever they came her way.

Tonight was one just such night.

Filled to bursting with young people all attempting to escape their duty to the war effort for a while, the pub interior was alight with activity. The music was loud, the chatter even louder, and the crowd so thick Charlie had to hold onto Mabs to make sure they weren't separated on their way to the bar.

It was Saturday night, which always had a good turnout, and every soldier from Easy seemed to be here, veteran and replacement alike. Except for Floyd, of course, who was out on the date he'd thought he was going to miss.

Charlie still didn't know many of the replacements - still it was only Babe she'd properly spoken to - but somehow Mabs seemed to be very well acquainted with all of them. "Watch out for that one," she was saying, pointing different replacements out as they passed them. "He's handsy. Never learned the word 'no'."

Charlie pulled a face and Mabs laughed.

"That one, on the other hand," Mabs went on, pointing out someone different. "He's real sweet. Kinda awkward. Might be a good fit for you."

Charlie rolled her eyes and jostled Mabs playfully, which earned her a self-satisfied laugh. Nonetheless, Charlie turned to look at the man Mabs had gestured to and found her description matched up with his appearance perfectly; he was freckled, baby-faced, and blushing as he spoke to a local woman. Charlie felt like she was looking at her male equivalent.

"What's his name?" Charlie wondered, turning back to Mabs as she lost sight of him. They carried on pressing through the crowd on their way to the bar.

"James Miller," Mabs said with a suggestive grin. "He's cute, right?"

Charlie shrugged. "Maybe."

"From you," Mabs replied, chuckling, "that's as good as saying you wanna have his babies."

"Mabs!" Charlie exclaimed, but Mabs had her back turned as she made the final push to the bar.

"Two shots of vodka and two glasses of vodka lemonade, both doubles," Mabs ordered, shooting the bartender a flirty smile.