101: A Dream That Shouldn't Have to Be

Charlie woke up wrapped in Floyd's arms, to the sound of his alarm, and for a moment she forgot what was happening. In her head, for one magical split second, they woke up like this everyday - had always woken up like this, in fact - and the alarm was only to remind them that they had cookies in the oven.

When Floyd groaned, shifted, and made to get out of bed, reality came rushing back in.

"No," Charlie complained, reaching for him and catching his wrist in her blind searching. Her eyes were still shut, as though keeping them closed would make Floyd remain where he was. "Come back."

"I gotta go to work, Freckles," Floyd replied, and his voice was delightful in the morning. Low and gravelly and groggy with sleep, it only served to work against him and make her want him to stay even more.

"Stay," she pleaded, peeling her eyes open.

His hair was messy and rumpled, his eyes only just beginning to open fully after being shut for so long, and there was a fond smile playing at his lips. His shirt was a little wonky, so that one side of the neckline drooped lower than the other and revealed a hint of golden skin, and with the light of sunrise creeping in through the gap in the curtains he was surrounded by a halo of light.

"Beautiful," Charlie mumbled. His smile grew. She shifted to lean up on her elbows then insisted, "Stay," once more.

"I can't," Floyd replied, but contrary to his words he leaned in and gave her a very soft kiss. It was nothing more than the delicate press of his lips to hers and yet butterflies erupted in her stomach. She lifted a hand to cup his cheek and pressed an identical kiss to his lips when he pulled away.

He smiled once she was finished. "You're an angel," he told her quietly, his eyes full of affection.

She nuzzled her nose against his. "This angel needs company," she replied. "And to go back to sleep."

"You can sleep in here as long as you want," came his soft reply. "As for the company, you'll have to recruit Mabs."

"Not the same," Charlie insisted. Her hand on his cheek moved to the back of his neck and her other hand joined it, and she pulled him into a hug which was more awkward than it was warm because of the way he was kneeling on the bed with his arms propped up on either side of her. But she sighed into it all the same, as though relieved to finally be close to him again, as though inhaling her first gust of fresh air after a lifetime indoors.

"Freckles, I gotta go," Floyd pressed after a while. "I can't be late."

Charlie sighed and withdrew. Now that she was more awake she knew that he was right.

"When do you finish?" she asked, twisting the bedsheets between her fingers as she watched him pull on his ODs.

"We got more weapons training after dinner. Supposed to be done at 2000 hours." He looked over at her through the low light of the room and whatever he saw on her face softened him.

"Come see me when you're finished," she implored quietly. She was sure her hair was a mess and that she had sleep crusting in the corners of her eyes. Belatedly, she worried that she had drool in the corners of her mouth. But Floyd didn't seem to either notice or mind; he was still looking at her like she was the brightest star in the sky.

"I will," he promised, finishing doing up his ODs. "Of course I will."

"Can I stay the night again?"

He grinned. "You're always welcome. What's mine is yours."

She smiled softly back at him. "I love you."

Floyd paused where he'd been lacing up one of his boots and came back over to the bed. He braced his hands on the mattress again and leaned in to kiss her, taking his time, making sure she knew how loved she was, before finally pulling away but remaining close enough that their lips brushed when he spoke. "And I love you."