CHAPTER ONE

“You’re sure you don’t mind me taking these shoes?” Danny asks and I chuckle before waving him off. He is a meddler and doesn’t know no privacy but ever since he married Afee, he has been double guessing some of the things. It’s quite amusing sometimes but I don’t let him see that. I am also used to him stealing my shoes, claiming that he will only wear them once and return them but that’s a plain lie because he never brings them back. His husband is rich but that doesn’t matter when it comes to my shoe collection. 

“It’s okay, Dan. Now go before you miss your flight. I am sure Afee would kill me if you happen to miss it.” I tease and he laughs before kissing my cheek and rushing out of my apartment. 

I huff and throw myself on the bed after hearing the front door shut. I am going through a lot. I have recently broken up with Bobo and that has left me rather sad. I am mad at myself because if I hadn’t entertained the idea of being in a relationship, I wouldn’t be here right now, missing him and wishing he were here. 

All the people I consider friends are busy with their lives and I don’t wanna bother them by informing them about a mere breakup. I am sure Futhy, my boss, would say ‘This is a sign that you husband is near and God is paving way for him.’ she is very positive and sometimes her advices are comforting, but at times like these, I don’t need someone who will tell me that shit will come together. I want someone who is going to say ‘Lindsay, go out and fuck whoever you come across, straight or gay’. Maybe I need to listen to my own advice and go out searching instead of throwing myself a pity party. 

I shower and as I go through my stuff, I click my tongue, coming across one of Bobo’s t-shirts. I remember the day he bought it. We were out and I spotted it in the store’s display section. I said it would look good on him and we went inside to buy it. The cashier was very friendly and turns out they were neighbours. They chatted like old friends and I felt left out. I didn’t wanna raise this after we left the shop because I didn’t want him to think I am insecure or something. As time went by, he started spending some time with the cashier, claiming they were just friends catching up. God, I was such a fool. I didn’t think a gay man would cheat on me with a woman. I was a fool and I regret loving him. They actually got together and had an affair behind my back. I found out the hard way. I saw them coming out of a surgery and Bobo was brushing the lady’s stomach with a wide smile on his face. I had a panic attack that day and I saw my life flashing before my eyes. I didn’t need anyone to clarify what was going on before me. When Bobo ‘apologized’ and told me the nature of his relationship with the lady, my whole body shook and I nearly lost it. I just smiled at him and said goodbye. 

Two weeks later and the sight of his things still repulse me. I wanna go Daenerys on his shit because I don’t ever want see his face but as huge as Durban is, I know my wish won’t come true. I just have to pack his trash and place it in the garage until I have the strength to text him and tell him to come pick it up. But I am not going to do that tonight. Tonight is all about me and I intend on having a good time, drinking my sorrows away. 

I am usually laid back when it comes to my attire but today my alter ego has been awakened, thanks to that asshole. Even thinking of his name makes me super mad. I take out my tiny denim shorts, a mesh white vest and a leather jacket. I am going to pair this with white Hibacci sneakers. When I am content with my outfit, I settle in front of the dresser. I do minimal make-up, just foundation, brows and a nude lipstick. My alter ego is not fully out, so I don’t include a weave to complete my look. I just apply some gel in my cut and then spray it. I then get dressed and load my essentials in a small handbag. 

Sliding inside my car, I meander through the traffic and find myself parked outside one of the elite clubs of Joburg. I am not even concerned about being alone because I am a vibe and people love hanging out with me.  I smile at the bouncer as I walk inside. What a great time to be alive. The music is pumping, people are dancing like there is no troubles or tomorrow, the barman is impressing some ladies with his flipping skills. I head to the bar and smile at him.