CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

“Bye friend. I am going to miss you but don’t worry too much. I will visit you soon and we will meet at events. Your house warming for instance. We should go clubbing when you’re not busy.” Ralph drawls and I almost shed a few tears. He spent two nights in my house but I already know that I am going to miss him. Apparently; when he left the States, he listed his apartment to some agent and it was sold really fast. The agent transferred the money on Friday and it reflected to Ralph’s bank today. We went apartment searching and found a perfect one for him. So all the paperwork was done and he didn’t want to wait any longer.

“It was nice having you around. Love you.” We hug for the last time and he climbs into the Uber. It drives out and I lock the gate after him.

Living alone can be so boring but I know that I have to bring my family over to see my new my home before anybody else. I think they have gotten over the car issue. I know there will be comments but I will cross that bridge when we get to it. I make sure that the house is clean before driving to Mom’s house. I get there at 1pm and I have to wait for her to come out of church. I then decide to fetch her. My car is going to get me a lot of unwanted attention but fetching her will save me some time. As I park the car, I climb off and lean outside my car. I spot mom coming out with her friend, MaDube and her neighbor, MaJali. They are talking about whatever noisy church ladies talk about. Not that I am trying to hide my true self but I am dressed in chinos, a tight black satin shirt and dress shoes. I know my outfit doesn’t scream gay.

“Hey ma.” I say as they are about to pass me. Mom stops and looks at me.
“Lindani.” She acknowledges me with a nod.
“That’s a really beautiful car you have there, Lindani. Congratulations. I thought your mother was being her dramatic self when she told me about it.” MaDube compliments and I smile. She can be friendly when she wants. Ohh so mom brags about me to her friends?

“Thank you, ma.” MaJali also compliments the car and I thank her. They then bit farewell and head to MaDube's Corolla. “You can get in ma while we wait for Sithenjwa and the kids.” She nods before climbing into the front seats. Mothers and front seats, you can never separate them.

Moments later Sithenjwa comes out of the church wearing a black short dress which is fit for eGagasini not church, but her I’m not judging. Zuzile and Vumani are behind her. When the kids see me or the car, they run towards me and attack me with hugs.

“Hello my munchies. How are you doing today?” I ask, kissing their heads. Zuzile looks like she is due for a salon appointment soon. I wonder what she is going to do with that unruly afro since she needs to go to school tomorrow.

“We are doing great, malume.” Vumani responds. He is 7 years and is doing grade 2.
“Hey Sithenjwa.” I greet my sister and she rolls her eyes before getting inside the car. Drama. The kids also get in and I climb into my seat. I start the car and it greets me as usual.

“So family I have something to show you. I don’t know of you would like to go home first or go with me to where I wanna show you.”
“Lets just get this done and move on with our lives.” Sithenjwa responds looking down on her phone. That girl is dramatic to the T.

As I drive off, I order lunch from Mr. D food. I would be complaining about their feed and stuff but the ghel is currently a millionaire, so no complains about poor people troubles. When I pull up in my neighborhood, I swear I feel mom’s frown before I see it.

“What are we doing here, Lindani?” she asks.
“You will see mah.”

I drive up to my house and open the gate. Driving in, I close it behind me and park the car on the driveway. I step out of the car and they all follow suit. I lead them to the front door and open it.