CHAPTER 24

The party goes one without any hiccup. The MC knows his story, no lie. He keeps everyone entertained. The moment the first performer graces the stage, Dladla Mshunqisi, almost everyone gets up to dance. It ain’t a Durban party if you don’t have the screaming fat dude. After his performance, we settle down and the main course rolls in. The food looks delicious and the presentation, world class my dear. The mic goes around the table as a few friends congratulate me on the new house and car. Chef Azania walks to me with a smile.

“Good evening everyone. I am Chef Azania Mthombeni, your chef for this evening. I just wanted to find out if you’re enjoying your meal.” She gives that warm smile.
“You got a celebrity chef? Now everyone doing an event after you must up their game.” Xoli comments and we chuckle.
“I love your food. Is there a way to get a second plate?” Lisa asks with an adorable smile.

“I will have one of my assistants bring it to you, your highness. I am glad you’re enjoying the food.” The chef responds.
“We love this. It is so delicious and the presentation, this is straight out of a commercial.” Futhy comments and Azania chuckles. “I recently got a tender of rebuilding and rebranding a chain of hotels. How about you show me a portfolio and I will decide in which of the hotels I should put your restaurant. Look at me blabbing. I haven’t even asked if you considered opening another branch.” She places a hand in her mouth and Azania giggles.

“It sounds like a great offer.”
“Then I will contact you first thing on Sunday morning because I never rest.” Nonkosi announces as she walks in. She goes to hug Futhy and then settles on her chair. “I am the PA by the way and I technically run the show.” We all laugh. She is very forward. “Sorry I am late, love. I had to tell some demanding client where to get off and then I signed in your outfit.”

“I think I’m in love.” Phila comments and we all look at him but he is looking at Nonkosi. Well, well, well. Who would’ve thought? Unluckily for him, the girl is taken but you are never really taken unless your Mrs. Somebody.

Everyone eats the main course and only good comments flow out of their mouths. As the waiters collect the dishes, I spot Ralph on the table next to mine. That’s odd. Why didn’t he come and greet me? Unless he got here pretty late then. He sees me looking him and waves a hand, mouthing an apology. I guess I will chat with him after the programme is finished. The speeches continue and this time around, it’s my colleagues wishing me good fortune and wealth. Another performance rolls in. Papi Cooper and Khanyisa and they perform their song titled Mama. How much did Lethi add for this event? I wonder. People are served desert but some reject it because they are already tipsy.

“Well it has been a lovely evening here at the burbs. Thank you for respecting me as your MC. I hope you high rollers will consider me on your upcoming events.” Humble Beast announces and I chuckle while everyone laughs. I like him. “We have come to an end of our programme. We would like to ask our guest of honour to say a few words or maybe even chase us out, we don’t know.” He shrugs and we laugh.

I stand up and take the mic. I look at everyone, giving them small smiles and finally my eyes land on my awesome man. He winks at me and I blush. God. “Thank you all for coming to celebrate my success with me. I know the event was such a short notice but I am glad all of you honoured my invitation. Thanks to all my colleagues; my friends, the rich kids;” they all laugh. “Thank you to my sister who is here with us. Thank you to my man and his family for their presence. Thank you to God for blessing me with this luxury and for blessing me with a generous man.” I bat my lashes and everyone laughs.

“YAAS GIRL!” Danny shouts and I giggle.
“A special shout out to my boss who is my friend, therapist and sometimes big sister. I love you all and thank you once again for coming. Well you all know me. The party doesn’t start until the sun has set. So now the real party starts. If you can’t handle too much fun, leave it to us, the VIBE BRINGERS. A toast to SUCCESS.”
“TO SUCCESS!”