Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten; First Therapy Session

"I'm disappointed and hurt that she never shared with me that she was pregnant and our baby died," Joe admitted.

Joe and Laniyah sat across from their court-ordered therapist. After going to their first mediation, the judge decided that Joe and Laniyah needed to see a therapist for their unresolved issues with each other.

She scribbled in her notebook.

"And Laniyah what do you think about what Joe just said?" Dr. Kinder asked Laniyah.

"I mean I understand why he feels that way but I already told him why I didn't tell him. He can go through the motions of his feelings but he will not make me feel bad about my decisions," Laniyah answered, curtly.

She looked down at the ground, unwilling to face Jos. Her face was in a scowl.

"With all due respect, Laniyah, you're being dismissive of Joe's feelings," She said, before looking at Joe. "Was she like this when you two were together?" She asked Joe.

Joe sighed.

"No, she's changed from the girl that I used to know," Joe answered. "It was a blessing just to be in her presence, super detail-oriented, an incredibly hard worker, super talented, and very inspiring. She made me feel confident because she believed in me. I used to feel attractive because she pampered me and showered me with hugs almost all the time. It made me feel she was so much into me. Our relationship was blissful but we abruptly broke up which I also don't understand why that happened," Joe explained.

Dr. Kinder looked at Laniyah.

"Did you just hear what he said? How does that make you feel, Laniyah?" She asked Laniyah.

Laniyah nods.

"I mean I would have appreciated those words back then but I can only say we broke up because I felt lost being with him. It was about football and being supportive, but I felt lost so I wanted to break up to concentrate on myself and my dreams and goals," Laniyah explained.

"How did you feel lost in your relationship with Joe?" She asked.

"I felt like I was going to college to support him and his dreams and then get a degree just to see a piece of paper on the wall," Laniyah told Dr. Kinder.

Laniyah started to tear up.

"Everyone around us was always like, 'make sure Joe is good or you know you have to do this or that for Joe,' and I wanted to do something with my education. I wanted to be more than just a stay-at-home wife and mother. I've always wanted to run my own business, and I've been blessed to be in a position to own the things I'm interested in pursuing because I found myself after breaking up with him," Laniyah said.

Joe frowned. He hadn't realized how their relationship was majorly about him. He now understood why she broke up with him.

"Joe," Dr. Kinder said.

Joe nods.

"I'm sorry, Laniyah, it was never my intention to make you feel or think you had to put your life on hold for me. I'm sorry for not putting the same amount of time and effort into you as you did for me. I do appreciate everything you did for me," Joe told Laniyah.

Dr. Kinder looks at the two people sitting in front of her and she sees the potential of a couple that could be great together but the baggage that they are both carrying is what keeps them from being able to see the genuine love that they have for each other.

"I want to add a few more sessions, than what was court ordered," Dr. Kinder told them.

"Why?" Laniyah asked.

Dr. Kinder smiled.

"I see things that need to be addressed and even if you guys do get a divorce, I still want you both to come in as a couple because I want to completely free you both from the baggage that you are carrying from the past," Dr. Kinder explained.