Chp 4:

Nicolai:

I exit my last meeting of the afternoon and pull my phone from my pocket as I call Tess and ask if she wants to meet me for lunch. She agrees.

We meet at a Bistro and I walk inside. She smiles when she sees me, I smile and approach her-kissing her softly. "How are you?" I ask. Her smile slightly falls and she shrugs but before I can ask anything else the host comes and leads us to our seats.

We sit and I look across at her. "What happened?" I ask softly. "It's nothing." She says, I roll my eyes as she keeps scrolling through her phone to avoid conversation.

I reach across the table and take her phone from her hands. Her eyes dart up to my face and her mouth falls open in shock.

"You'll get this back when you tell me what's going on." I say sternly. There was a slight part of me that was amused with myself right now.

"Nick! Give me my phone back." She says through gritted teeth. "No." I say, challenging her.

"Stop." She says. "What happened?" I repeat with frustration. She folds her arms and rolls her eyes then looks back at me. "I saw Silas today." I look at her and rack my brain trying to think of who that is...then it hits me.

I narrow my eyes and straighten up slightly in my seat. "Did you speak with him?" I ask coldly. "No. But he tried to speak with me.", "What did he say?"

"He said that it's nice to see me again." She props her arms up onto the table and looks down. "Why does life hate me?" She asks pouting.

My frustration slightly subsides as I see her pout and I look at her with amusement. "Where did you see him?" I ask wanting to know more. "At work." My eyes widen.

"He was in your office?" I clench my fist and then let it go. "I have no idea how he knows where I work." She lowers her head again and sighs.

"I want this guy arrested." I say rubbing my temples. "He's done nothing wrong though..." She says frowning. "Oh baby, he's done plenty wrong. I still want to deck him...you know that right?" I say looking directly at Tess.

"Yes...I do." She says with a slight laugh. I crack a smile and nod. Our waiter arrives and takes our drink orders and then gives us a few moments to figure out what we'd like to eat.

I choose steak and vegetables and Tessa gets pesto pasta with grilled salmon. We order our food and hand our menus back as the waiter leaves.

"I don't want to continue to speak about my day though...how has your day been?" She asks as she plays with her hair.

"It was alright up until I found out that piece of shit is in town again." She purses her lips and looks away. "New topic. Did you ever find out what Eli burnt at the club?" She asks with a slight chuckle. I groan and tip back my head then let out a slight laugh.

"I personally have not a single clue as to how he and I are blood related...or how he graduated with a 4.0." I say shaking my head. "From what I can understand, he was breaking open bottles of vodka and other alcoholic drinks and then somebody decided to set the bar on fire." Tess' eyes go wide.

"He burnt most of the bar, and the bar stools as well as most of the drinks." I run my hands over my face again.

"Yes...somebody please explain how the two of you are related?" I shrug. "Though I was similar to him at his age." She smirks. "Oh? So you're telling me that you caught things on fire, hooked up with girl after girl, and-" I raise my hand to stop her and laugh, she grins and let's out a slight giggle.

"Shh. We don't speak of my college days." I say with a smirk and she winks at me.

"Now...can I have my phone back?" She asks with slight annoyance in her voice. I smile and nod as I hand it across the table and she takes it back. "Thanks."