TWENTY-NINE!

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN LITERALLY EVER, HER APARTMENT IN NEW YORK DIDN'T FEEL LIKE HOME TO HER. A whole new mindset had changed in her. She was sure that her seventeen year old self would be proud of where she was right now. Living with her best friend, reuniting with Neil and even writing for someone. When in reality, ten years later.. That wasn't the case for her.

Walking through the doors of her shared apartment with Todd didn't feel like home to her anymore. It was once a place where she could escape everything that had happened in Vermont. The stuff with Neil, Mr. Keating, all of it. She could have refreshed it. She also had Charlie with her, and Charlie wasn't here... she wanted to be with Charlie always.

So as soon as she got home, she headed to the diner to clear her mind. She didn't want to be around anyone right now. It was all so confusing and she was still trying to figure out what her heart truly wanted.

The diner was empty, how it normally was at nine at night. She sat there with her little notebook and pen, just doodling, trying to find the right words to write. She sometimes wished her teacher Mr. Keating was still around for his advice on this, and how you could make it a poem. But he wasn't. It had been too long.

"How was your trip?" Rebetta snapped back to reality and turned to see Sara looking over at her with a smile. Suddenly, Sara's smile faded. "Well, I wouldn't really say it was a good trip hence it was your friend's funeral but... I hope it went okay."

Rebetta sighed. "It was confusing, chaotic... I figured some stuff out."

"What kind of stuff? Between you and Neil?" Sara slid into the booth right across from her, as she looked like she wanted answers. Rebetta pressed her lips together, as she didn't want to break the news to her.

"Neil is only going to stay my friend." Rebetta whispered.
    Sara's smile faded. "Oh, that's quite a shame."

Rebetta laughed quietly. "Not really Sara," She sat up a little bit more. "I know there's someone better for both of us. I would rather him in my life than not in it at all."

"Did you make this choice?"

"Mutually we did." Rebetta told her. "I think it's for what's best."

Sara looked around, hoping she didn't have to do her job. But who cared, the diner was so dead anyway. She didn't mind sitting and chatting with one of her favorite customers. "Well, do you already have someone better for you?"

Rebetta's mind immediately went to Charlie. "Yeah, I think I do. But it's complicated, I-"

"You don't have to explain it if you don't want to hun," Sara told Rebetta. "But let me just say this. The heart grows fonder than your head. You may think you have everything sorted out and you're on your merry little way in life. Sometimes, there's some curveballs and you gotta hit those curve balls. Might be the best decision you've ever made."

The bell to the door rang and Rebetta turned to see Todd looking at her. "If you need a milkshake or anything, you know where I'll be." Sara winked before sliding out of the booth and walked away to the back. Todd hurried over to Rebetta and sat across from her.

"I figured you would be on the fire escape or here. Glad I chose option number two." Todd joked but Rebetta didn't laugh. Todd definitely noticed this.

"Betta, are you alright?" Todd asked.

She let out a sigh. "I don't know. This weekend was just... confusing. There was a lot of sunken things that returned to the surface."

It got quiet between them. "I saw you and Charlie arguing on the dock the night before we left. Are you okay?"