The Ceremony

27K! Thank you for all your support.

Dearest Reader,

Today is the day of the grand wedding between Prince Friedrich and Miss Harriet Greyfair. It will surely be a grand spectacle that will end this season. Worry not for those unlucky enough not to be given an invitation, for this writer will have all the details.

- Lady Whistledown

Princess Harriet of Prussia, House of Hohenzollern

That was who Harriet would be in a very short amount of time.

The room was very quiet, with only the Viscount and Phoebe for company. Everybody else had gone into the chapel for the wedding, leaving her father to give her away and her best friend to hold her train.

Harriet looked beautiful. Everyone else had said that but she actually felt it. The silver gown with its empire waist and shiny material flattered her in every aspect. The Queen had been right- gold wouldn't have been as nice next to her blonde hair.

Once the vows had been said, she would be gifted with a tiara- a tiara was only for those who were royalty and she was not quite there yet.

Harriet was terribly nervous. She wasn't nervous like she wanted to run, she was excited to marry Friedrich, but a wedding day was a huge deal. Girls were told that marrying well- or marrying in general- was the ultimate goal. The wedding day marked the end of maidenhood and the start of womanhood. She would no longer be a Viscount's debutante daughter but a married princess.

Princess Harriet. She still couldn't quite believe it.

She liked to think that she would have had a match otherwise. Harriet had a fine countenance, good manners and ladylike accomplishments. There was nothing that could disqualify her from finding a husband.

Still, she was marrying a prince. She'd outshone the brightest diamonds of the season to do so.

A footman opened the door.

"It's time."

"You look beautiful, dearest friend, I am so happy for you," Phoebe, looking lovely in blue, embraced her, "The Prince is the luckiest man to have you as his wife. You deserve nothing less than this. I cannot wait for this day to unfold."

"Thank you Phe."

"Are you ready darling?" The Viscount asked.

Harriet nervously nodded and said a quick prayer.

Clutching her father's arm, Harriet headed down to the chapel. Phoebe followed with Harriet's train clutched in her hands.

The Viscount squeezed Harriet's hand as the chapel doors flew open and the Wedding March blared.

Every eye in the packed house was on her. Murmurs and whispers bounced off the ceiling. The sea of people made it impossible to see even the Queen, for they were large in number. Such a magnificent chapel deserved to have a full house. The stained glass windows twinkled in the sunlight. Even the statues seemed lighter.

The entire place was covered in flowers of cream and white. They adorned each pew as well as the top of the altar in a downward formation. Harriet's own bouquet matched it- the royal gardener had specifically cultivated the flowers.

It wasn't until she got close enough to the front that Harriet finally saw Friedrich. He looked handsome in Prussian dress with golden tassels and buttons. His face lit up when he saw Harriet in her bridal gown. Harriet returned the smile.

She glanced to the side to see her close relations, all beaming. The Viscountess and Hilda already had the white of their hankies mixed with tears. They both beamed as tears streamed down their faces.