Sisterly Advice

Over 61K! Thank you!

"You have a visitor, Your Highness."

Harriet looked up from her embroidery.

"Who is it?"

"Mr. William Greyfair."

"Send him in."

Harriet had good relations with her brothers, but she was the least close to William. Henry and John were both closer to her in age, whilst William was always a to be the next Viscount Greyfair. She shared Henry's more conservative disposition and John's sense of humour. William was more bohemian and free-spirited, enjoying the life of a carefree nobleman. Harriet had been young when William had gone to Eton, then Oxford. Brothers and sisters lived separate lives when it came to early years. She did love her brother dearly, but they were not joined at the hip.
I
A visit was a surprise.

William entered.

"Do I need to bow?"  

"I think not," Harriet embraced him, "Come sit. Do you want tea? Good, can we have some tea and biscuits please?"

The footman bowed and exited the room. William followed Harriet to the sofa.

"Well this is quite a surprise," Harriet said, "A pleasant one nonetheless. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Well, erm," William straightened up, "There is something I wish to tell you about, something personal. I would usually go to Father and Mother about this but I figure that since you are now the highest ranking person in the family, I should go to you first. I also think that you may be more understanding about it."

Harriet looked at him quizzically.

"Go ahead."

"There is a woman that I wish to propose marriage to."

Harriet's confused face turned into a delighted one. She beamed with delight and clapped her hands with glee.

"My word, that is wonderful news indeed. Tell me, tell me who the lucky lady is."

"Julia Green."

Harriet's eyes widened, "The Dowager Lady Green? Formerly Julia Simpson?"

"Yes."

"William, I-"

"I know what you're going to say."

"How did you come to know Lady Green?"

"I wrote to her with my condolences after the death of her husband. She wrote back to say thank you but nothing came of it until I went to dinner at her brother's house and she was there. Well we've spoken a few times you see and she's now out of mourning so it would be acceptable to propose."

"Have you thought this through?"

"It is no different to how women find husbands during their season. In fact, I've probably had more time to get to know her than many of the debutantes this season. She's a fine lady."

"I just worry."

"Do you have a problem with her as a person?"

"Not at all! I've always liked Lady Green very much. It's just...well, obviously she has been married before. It's not a problem but she was wed for five years and she never bore her husband a child. You know what people say when they talk about her- the poor girl with the horrible husband who couldn't have children."

"It's probably not entirely her fault. Old Sir Green had more affairs than I've had hot suppers."

"He also had three illegitimate children, so at least he proved that he could. The fact of the matter is that no matter how awful and neglectful a man may be, a woman is always blamed for a lack of sons or fertility overall. Society may sympathise with Lady Green, but she's always be the woman who couldn't have a baby after five years of marriage. You are the future viscount. A titled man is expected to have children. Dear William, you must be realistic. Think about more than just Lady Green as a person."

"I have two younger brothers. The title is secure. Besides, Viscount Bridgerton has been putting it off for years."

"You are not Viscount Bridgerton."

"I understand your concern Harriet, but I feel that this is the right thing to do. Look, I have considered everything."

"You are not always considerate. I am well aware of your reputation around town despite never wishing to enquire into it."

"I'm not the libertine you think I am. Julia is from a good, prosperous family. She has a fair dowry, plus the settlement money that was given to Julia in her husband's will. I have no intention of taking it from her. Julia is pleasant, intelligent and kind. She will be an excellent society wife. The match is proper indeed. Julia is a good person. She deserves some happiness after how beastly Sir Green was to her. I know that you will be welcoming to her. Understand that this is not a fleeting idea. I am entirely serious in my pursuit of Julia."

"If it makes you happy, then I guess I cannot disagree. Lady Green will be a good wife and I believe you shall be a good husband to her. I would be delighted to welcome her into the family. You are right about the time, of course, it is now appropriate to propose after her mourning has finished. It spares her the indignity of another season. How will you proceed?"

"I shall inform Father and Mother, then go to her father for his permission. Actually, I do not need to, as she is over 21, but I feel I need to make the proper impression. I do hope that she says yes."

"I hope so too. If you need any assistance in the matter then please let me know."

"It feels rather odd, going to one's younger sister for advice."

"You should have come far sooner in life, otherwise you would not be such a reckless man."

"I assume that your husband's reputation as a gentleman is quite an attraction? He is never seen anywhere of ill repute. I say, he and Henry should get together more often."

"It must be so difficult to have relations who are not like you and Benedict Bridgerton. Perhaps Lady Green should marry Henry instead."

"You wound me, dear sister. I just wish to be as happy as you are in your marriage."

Harriet was happy. She was not necessarily in love, but at least Friedrich was a solid match. She just wished that she loved him as a wife should love a husband, instead of in an almost platonic way. There was no desire. All Harriet desired was, well, desire itself.

"Then I hope you shall."

Those with a keen eye will remember Julia from the Daphne/Simon wedding chapter. I've been saving her for a while.

Next Time: Harriet starts the new year with a literal bang as she plans to spice up her married life.

Thanks again. Don't forget to check out my other work again too xxx