27. Two Weeks to Join the Party

"A party on a Tuesday? That's new."

"I know. His sister likes to do unexpected things." I exhaled into the phone and rolled onto my back, the bed groaning below me. "You'll come right?"

Silence stretched on the other side of the line and worry seeped into me. There was no way I could go to a party alone. The fact I had a PhD in overthinking didn't exactly make me shine in situations that involved all new people.

"Mel, please, I really don't wanna go alone and I already told him I'd come and also you know we said we'd go to more parties this year and the fact that-"

"Oh my God, okay, okay, anything to halt your word vomit." Melissa exhaled on the other side of the line and I grinned.

"Ugh, I can hear your obnoxious smile." Melissa groaned and I pursed my lips together. She knew me too well. "You'll owe me for this though. I don't usually do partying during the weekday, it cuts into my sleep schedule."

I rolled my eyes, smile still on my face as I spoke. "You never know, it could be really fun!"

"Doubtful." The sigh on the other end sounded mournful but I knew she was already mentally picking her outfit.

"Wanna come over early and get ready?" I asked, excitement running through me with a tinge of nostalgia. The last party we went to, there were three of us. Now, we were one woman down.

"Of course, I'm coming over to get ready. You promised I could put make up on you the next time we went out." Melissa said in her sing-song voice and a chill ran through me.

"I did no such-" I started to complain before a memory hit me of doing exactly that during summer when we were making our big senior plans. "Shit."

All that came from the other line was laughter. And not the cute, comforting type.

I was nervous

I was nervous.

No, actually, I had surpassed nervous and walked straight into Panic Mode.

The school day passed faster than any school day before - maybe because it was the rare day when Noah didn't sit on our table for lunch. Well, for most of lunch. He had come over to whisper into my ear that he was looking forward to the party, causing me to almost choke on the apple juice I was drinking.

"You okay?" Noah's voice shook me out of my thoughts. I looked to the side and saw him glancing at me with a frown before focusing back on the road.

"Yeah, I'm very okay, totally okay. Why wouldn't I be okay?" I mumbled, squeezing my hands together.

Noah chuckled, before stretching his hand out and grabbing out of mine out of the ball of tangled tension I'd created in my lap.

"Because you don't look very, totally okay, to me," he said and entwined our fingers, giving my hand a light squeeze. "What's bothering you? School? Family?"