34. Two Weeks to Destroy the Girl

TRIGGER WARNING: detailed description of a panic/anxiety attack

"Do you maybe want to sleep over?"

I choked on the water I was drinking. Noah's eyes went wide as he seemed to realize what he'd said, his head instantly shaking.

"Wait, no, that's not what I meant. We have a guest room!" He started explaining, waving his hands in the air frantically. "It's just that, if you stay we could do some questions, maybe watch a movie... I don't know, sorry, it was a dumb idea probably, I don't know what I was–"

"I'll stay," I said before I could talk myself out of it, and then added, "In the guest room."

Noah chuckled and nodded. His body seemed was relaxed, but the red on his cheeks told me he was just as embarrassed as I was. Though, to be fair, the red could have been from all the making out we'd just been doing, until I needed a water break.

"Do you... want to watch a movie first?" I said, clearing my throat. At least that would give us something to focus on other than each other.

"Yeah, yeah sounds good. Pizza? I could order some pizza." He already had his phone in his hand before I could even nod.

"That works. I'm okay with anything. Except pineapple, that does not belong on pizza." I prattled on, taking out my own phone to text my mom.

It was one of those rare instances where I would actually have to lie to her, because there was no way she would let me sleep over at Noah's without previous conversation. Sleeping over at Melissa's on the other, would be just another weekend. Sorry, Mom.

"Oof, I think we have a problem, Fox." Noah's serious voice made me halt my typing.

"What? What's wrong?"

"Pineapple definitely belongs on pizza," he said, sombrely and I chuckled at how serious he was.

"It does not. It's basically a dessert," I countered, raising an eyebrow. Noah shook his head disapprovingly.

"Oh, Fox. Yeah, I don't think this is gonna work. Should I call you an Uber or?" he deadpanned, trying to appear serious even though his lips were twitching.

I just threw one of the couch pillows at him and he burst out laughing. "The sacrifices I make for you." He sighed, tapping on his phone.

"My hero," I muttered in return and he grinned into his phone.

We spent the rest of the evening on the couch. Always close but never really touching. One movie turned into two, turned into three with each of us taking turns suggesting what to watch next. The pizza came and a food coma followed.

And then, as the night grew darker, we ended up moving closer together. Inch by inch and our shoulders were touching. His arm was suddenly resting on the back of the couch, and found it's way wrapped around my shoulder. I leaned into him, my head landing on his chest as I did. We cuddled like that for what felt like an hour before I yawned.

"You tired?" he whispered into my ear and a shudder ran through me. Well, not anymore sir.

"Nope." I shook my head as I fought off another yawn that would very much invalidate that answer.

"We could do some questions. Could wake you up," he said and I nodded eagerly. "Alright. I guess we can do this one now that you know... How do you feel about your relationship with your mother?"

My heart did a little squeeze. I reached out and entwined my fingers with the hand that was hanging around my shoulder. Noah chuckled, noticing my little attempt at preemptive comfort and kissed the top of my head.