B. I'll Be There For You / Noah POV

The phone shook in my hand as I pressed the end call button. Was this the right thing to do?

She was miles away. Even if she jumped on a plane, it would take her hours to be here. But I knew that was exactly what she was going to do.

Tara had arranged a special circumstances agreement with her school that allowed her to complete classes and exams earlier than most. She already purchased a ticket back home for next week. But that was before this happened. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw her here tomorrow.

I could hear the fear in her voice and, even though I tried to keep her calm, I knew she was panicking. She was afraid.

Because I was panicking. I was afraid.

It had been an hour already since they rushed Mom away to complete their test and try to figure out what was wrong.

Other than the fact she was dying, of course.

I ran a hand through my hair and let out a shaky breath, wishing I could find some kind of distraction from this reality.

The fluorescent hospital lights, the constant beeping of monitors and chatter of doctors and nurses made it extremely difficult to think of anything but the current situation.

My phone pinged with an incoming text message and my stomach dropped. I had told Tara I would call her when I had more information, but she was never known for her patience.

But, when I unlocked my phone a different name waited there.

Skyler: Soooo should I expect some random date today

Skyler: to like your personal amusement park today or smthing?

A smile consumed my face, my body feeling slightly lighter than a moment ago. 

Noah: Good morning to you too

Noah: actually the amusement park is closed today

Skyler: wait, you actually have an amusement park???

Of course she believed that. I chuckled, shaking my head. I'd never had this much fun teasing someone before. It was new. Possibly a cause for concern. But right now, I had too much on my plate to worry about.

Noah: no, of course not

Noah: I was kidding

Skyler: Oh... haha?

Noah: 😂

I started typing and then stopped. What could I really say? There was no way I was leaving the hospital today. It would be another night of sleeping in that uncomfortable hospital chair next to her bed.

But that wasn't something I could tell her. Not yet.

Noah: And no date today sadly, I'm busy

Noah: Talk later

Skyler: Okay

Well, she wasn't into me anyway so I couldn't be surprised by that kind of reply. Why would she want to know where I was? She was probably just relieved I wasn't going to drag her out again. And then the phone pinged again.

Skyler: Busy with what? 👀

Shit. She was curious. She'd never been curious before. What the fuck was I supposed to say?

My fingers hovered over the letters, but nothing came to mind. I didn't want to lie to her. But I couldn't tell her the truth either. The only thing that left me with was...