2.06 | you're my mate

YOU CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE HOW IMPORTANT THAT NECKLACE IS TO THEM, ZED. DON'T LOSE IT OR BREAK IT.

Carson's nerves were thrumming excitedly as Wyatt led her out of Seabrook and to the Forbidden Forest

Carson's nerves were thrumming excitedly as Wyatt led her out of Seabrook and to the Forbidden Forest. Though she'd never been in the forest more than twice — when the bus crashed and when they brought her to the den earlier. But the way felt familiar for some reason. Perhaps it was because Wyatt was the one taking her, his warm hand guiding her and sending an electric feeling through her magic.

"So, where are we going?" she asked, squeezing Wyatt's hand as Seabrook was left behind.

"It's a surprise," was all he'd tell her. "But it's a special place for me."

"Then it's special to me too," Carson said, having no idea how right she was. "How much farther?"

"Just a couple minutes," he said, smiling at her impatience. "So, where were you at before sneaking in? I was surprised when I beat you to your house."

"Oh, um, I just walked around town. You know, cleared my head," Carson said, not going into detail. Though she threw in a few to keep him from asking questions. "I got some fro-yo from Coach. Well, not from him. I used magic to unlock the cart and then left money for him to find. It helped me calm down after everything."

"Makes sense," Wyatt said, nodding. "Things got kind of intense back at the den."

Carson looked down at the ground, recalling the fight. "Let me guess — you think I was too harsh? God forbid someone was honest with Addison for once."

"I can tell that you and your cousin have a very complex relationship — one that I have no idea about. I'm almost sure you two aren't always like this," he told her. "And at the end of the day, you were looking out for my pack. I'll never fault you for that."

"You don't think I'm too mean?"

"I think that you get protective and territorial when someone you care about it threatened or in pain, just like us wolves do," he told her softly. "You were ready to do anything to help save us sooner. I couldn't think that was mean when all I do is admire you for it."

"You mean it?" she asked, feeling much better.

Wyatt smiled and nodded to her. "But—" Carson held back a groan. "—she must be the Great Alpha, Carson."

"Wyatt," she said sharply. "Can we talk about anything else but my cousin?"

"Of course," he murmured, realizing it wasn't the best road to go down. It also wasn't the time for him to bring up her comment about 'letting Addison have Zed,' which instantly filled him with jealousy without knowing the backstory behind it. Because if that zombie thought for even a moment he had a chance with Carson, he'd have to go up a very territorial werewolf. "I know what I'd rather talk about anyway."

"Let me guess? You wanna talk about how beautiful the moon is tonight?" she asked in a joking tone while looking up at the nearly full moon through the treetops.