Chapter 1: Head in the Rain

I'm still holding on to everything that's dead and gone.

Steel below my hand is cold and slippery as I try not to let my body lose its balance while I stride down these stairs. The buildings are high in the air, the robbers' apartment, unfortunately on the highest floor. The fire escape stairs aren't reaching the last floor, yet none of us expected him to jump down six feet and land on the floor below.

It's a wonder how these things even manage to surprise me anymore.

Jackson and Lilah took another route as I followed right behind him, waving my hand through the air to try and prevent rain from drenching my face as well as it did to my body.

Nothing good happens on a rainy day in Virginia.

Almost missing one step from the lake of dirty water makes my heart skip a beat as I finally reach the bottom.

There is not much difference as this game of cat and mouse continues on the ground, but my hand is grabbing the earpiece when I say. "Go west."

Affirmation is heard from one of them when his steps stutter, most likely from hearing my voice. On the end of the building, he takes a sharp left as my brows furrow, knowing there is a dead end there.

Slowly into my steps, they became hesitant as I dragged my soaked body over the brick wall. I don't worry about being heard, even when the lighting hits down and crashes some trees in the near distance.

"Give it up, Allen." I yell, swallowing down the disgusting taste as I throw legs one after another. "There is nowhere to run."

No voice answers, not even a single sound which creates an unwanted fear.

He couldn't have escaped, right?

"Andrew Allen, last chance, walk out with your hands in the air and surrender." Not a trace of life behind these walls as I blink, large steps of my boots when I take out my gun, keeping it close when my head peakes out.

The alley is hardly seen through, the fog and rain making it impossible to see, but there is no figure of a man. Exhaling as I take a step to the side, the answer is out of my reach.

What the hell happened?

Like a slow drop of milk out of the bag, it's crushing down on the floor as the footstep marks its territory and it is too late when I see a dark shadow walk behind the container. The slice of bullet gracing my upper arm helps my body drop down even faster on the ground as I hiss out of the pain.

"Fuck." I mutter, not wasting time to try and grab the gun that I dropped from the current situation, but he doesn't have mercy.

His trigger is being pulled again, as I close my eyes, hugging my body to quickly roll over the mud when I feel a weapon in my hand.

The bullet doesn't grace me when I open my eyes, going to shoot him when his body falls down before my eyes properly get used to sight.

"Stay down." I hear a familiar voice as I sign out, letting the gun fall down when the relief fills me and I grab my arm.

It's nothing fatal, but hurts like a bitch either way.

"What the hell, Haden?" I hear Jackson running up to me, pulling me up as Lilah is cuffing down the criminal.

I grab onto his shoulder, taking another good look at my wound. "Nothing serious. I'll heal."

"I know you will, but what the hell was that?"

I keep my lips sealed, knowing the answer but refusing it to ever let it walk over my lips again. Instead I make up whatever excuse of feeling tired I can as we head back to DC.