Chapter 8: Air Breaks Hell Lose

And you'd have thought that I would let it go amd let you walk. Well broken hearts break bones.

"You never liked flying."

I actually liked flying. I never liked my enemies knowing things about me either, so I was the one who told him that in the first place.

No wonder he believed it.

I slowly opened my eyes, eyelids heavy when I spotted Landon, dressed in clothes less saying how he would murder me. Black tuxedo with white shirt, probably more expensive than this room, is on his slim tall body when he sits down in front of me.

I don't speak, but he does. "But those were only your words, so it wasn't enough and I had to see it for myself."

The sublity words trying to make me feel guilty were said with so little emotion. "And your perception?"

"That you are not Miles."

Miles Nelson. Kind hearted boy that accidentally stumbled across the horrors of that town. Only to one day walk into things that should never concern him and meet Landon Thorne in crucios accident which turned his life upside down. Then he did nothing. Nothing but follow around him, listening and complying orders like a trained dog.

They are all to blame for believing a person can be that shallow. That kind of perfection only exists in imaginary fiction.

"There was never Miles."

I had a choice three years ago. Stay Miles for the rest of my life and wake up in the arms of the devil in front of me, lying to myself and the world but at least the joy would be by my side through it all. Or be honest, be truthful for once and become who I have always been.

Winter Haden.

But now even that truth didn't feel honest.

"No." he says. "No, there wasn't." He leans his body forward, elbows supporting his arms on his knees while they brush against each other while lowering his head to be in the same line as me. "So enlighten me, who are you? Who is Winter Haden?"

"Depends on who you ask."

Ask Leah and I'm her dad, ask the rest of my family and I'm only Winter. To my colleagues, an agent who got too much for too little. They think they are being extremely slick about their opinions and looks, but I wouldn't be here where I am right now if half-witted morons like them could deceive me.

Ask Meredith and the rest of Snowcombe currently behind the bars, I'm the traitor.

Ask Landon and I am...?

"I'm asking you." he says it with so much criticism.

I tilt my head to the side, noticing the tight lipped smile that can be anything but honest, along with popping veins across his hands. I remember I wanted to study for the behavioral analyst department, but I would need at least ten years of experience as a special agent, to stand out from the crowd. I managed to do the latter, but only four more years of this and I can apply for it.

That's only if I live that far.

"I asked you something." he added.

"I'm not one of your dogs." I snapped at him, a flicker of surprise there. "You can drag them around with your leash, but I won't do the same. You already know who and what I am, so let's skip the small talk and tell me what you want."

There is small turbulence in the plane, shaking up both of our bodies in the stimulants of him laughing at my suggestion. It stops soon, allowing him to have his scarred hands go through his luxuriant black hair. Strands falling on the sides of his forehead even after he grins at me, bitter words leaving his white teeth. "Tell you? Why would I do that? So you could use it against me all over again."