Chapter 13 - The Trial Match Ends

The match resumed after Coach Mande blew the whistle.

Zachary and his teammates in red marked the forwards of the green team immediately after gameplay resumed. The midfielders in green bibs like Wagaluka and Mpoku had no option but to pass the ball back to their defenders.

Zachary's red team was pressing their opponents within their half.

At some point, droplets of rain had started falling from the sky. Most of the scouts returned to the pavilion to find shelter from the drizzle. But, a few remained close to the pitch, intently watching the match.

Coach Damata, on the sideline, was speaking with Mr. Benard Christophe, the head scout of FC Nantes Youth Academy. He was responsible for deciding the results of the ADTA trials in Lubumbashi. The other French officials in the delegation had merely come to earn some per diem and sightsee in Africa. Only a few like Mr. Benard were intently watching out for young potential recruits in the trials.

"That Mangala boy is good," Christophe began. "As you mentioned before, his dribbling and finishing skills are impeccable," he added, his eyes never leaving the pitch. He didn't seem to mind the rain one bit.

Stephen Mangala had just dribbled past Awax Bondeko, the right-back of the red team. He dashed into the box and unleashed a low shot which was saved by Baraka, the keeper. The boy prodigy seemed to be the only one still alive on the green team.

Coach Damata creased his brows before replying. "What about the Zachary boy. He is the tall guy in the number-8 position of the red team." He pointed towards Bemba's position on the pitch.

Christophe frowned, looking towards Zachary. "I see that he's a skilled distributor of the ball," he observed. "But we already have many such boys at the academy. His imposing physique is an advantage over those at the same age. What do you think will happen in the future when the others mature into stronger players?" He queried.

"I choose to go with the Mangala boy. Kayembe, the winger of the green team, is also an option." He intoned.

"Our scouts have been observing Zachary since he was twelve, and I assure you that he's a talented young man," Coach Damata argued. "His game intelligence is at another level. That, coupled with his strong body, makes him a good product to shape into a professional center-back or a midfielder."

Damata, as a local coach, wanted to see several young Congolese talents joining the French youth academies. That way, DR Congo would perform better in future international competitions.

"My dear coach," Christophe said, squinting up at the African in the slight drizzle. Damata knew that his efforts to forward the young talent to the Nantes Academy had met a roadblock.

"Do you doubt my vision? Do you think we would be here in this backwater if it wasn't for the sponsorship from the ADTA?" Christophe smirked.

"We promised to select about four players from the trials. Be satisfied with that. We have gathered enough information about the Zachary boy to make a decision." The left side of his red lip tugged upwards, creating a sort of sinister smirk on his aged face.

Damata remained silent for a while, watching the proceedings of the match before asking, "Mr. Benard, aren't you watching the match?" Damata questioned, pointing towards the pitch.

Zachary had just released another through pass to Emanuel Luboya. The tall striker braced himself and unleashed a mid-range shot that went just over the crossbar. The green team had a goal kick.

"We know that your boy had his left foot wasted in an accident," Mr. Benard intoned, gently shaking his head.

"What?" Coach Damata frowned. He had heard about Zachary's accident from one of the TP Mazembe scouts. But, it didn't seem to be anything serious. The French scout's focus on such an unimportant detail bugged him.