Chapter 20 - First Match In Europe I

Zachary left the Death Valley right after Coach Johansen had finished naming the line-ups for the game. A weight had been lifted from his shoulders when the coach mentioned his name as part of the team. He walked taller. His stride was lighter, more carefree.

He was looking forward to the game against Viking FK.

The cold evening gave him a reason to rush back home—to his new apartment and enjoy the warmth of the heating system in his room. He quickened his step and reached Moholt within less than fifteen minutes.

"You're back." Kasongo flashed him a smile when he entered the small kitchen, also serving as their living room. Zachary noticed that he'd just placed some French fries and chicken breasts in the oven. The boy was someone who enjoyed his chicken. That was a conclusion made by Zachary after spending the past few days with him.

"How was it?" He asked, looking at Zachary expectantly.

Zachary grinned and said: "What do you think? I'm on the team."

Kasongo sighed. "Man, you're a lucky bastard. You're already going to play a match in Europe, whereas I'm stuck with physicals at the gym, day in day out."

"Just cut down on your meat consumption," Zachary advised. "You wouldn't need the physicals if you had no excess fat."

"Who's says that chicken increases fat? It's just because of my height that I've issues with my body fat percentage." Kasongo argued.

"Are you in the starting eleven?" He asked.

"I don't know yet. The coaches will name the starting team players tomorrow before the match. But I'll most likely not be starting." Zachary replied.

"That's understandable. You're a newbie on the team." Kasongo intoned. "Is the match going to be played in the main Lerkendal Stadium?" He asked.

"Yes," Zachary replied. The Lerkendal Idrettspark, owned by Rosenborg, consisted of the main stadium and three training pitches. They were well managed and strictly controlled by the club's management. Their under-19 game against Viking Stavanger would take place in the main stadium.

"If you play, I will be there to cheer you on. Go and showcase the spirit of African football." Kasongo smiled. He then focused on cutting onions in preparations for their dinner. The two had resolved to cook in turns during their stay together in Trondheim. That day was Kasongo's turn.

Zachary didn't talk at length with Kasongo that night. He washed up, ate dinner, and headed back to his room to sleep by 9:00 PM. He was tired mentally and physically. The training had emptied his energy reserves.

However, he was glad that he'd taken another step towards achieving his dream of becoming a pro soccer player on the international stage.

Zachary felt good as he crawled beneath the sheets. He slept well that night, dreaming of himself lying in a bed of dollars.

The day of the match finally arrived.

**** ****

The Nordmenn loved their soccer, or rather, their football teams. The people of Trondheim were no exception. Rumors about Rosenborg's under-19 match against Viking Stavanger had spread fast in the small city of Trondheim over the previous few days. They attracted a large number of fans that had arrived at the stadium two hours before the start of the match.

By 2:30 PM, the stands behind one of the goalposts were already fully occupied. That was the section of the stadium that often housed the staunch fans—also members of Rosenborg's supporter club during matches.

Kasongo could feel the adrenaline from the pitch to the stands and flowing right around the stadium. It was the sort of tension mixed with excitement that should not have occurred for a simple under-19 match. He was glad that he'd tagged along with a group of new friends to the stadium. And this was a particularly overzealous group of fans.