002

DINNER IN THE SNAKE PIT-002

eve's dress on the left

April 12th, 1912

Atlantic Ocean

In the third-class dining salon, Eve sat with her brother, nibbling a piece of bread. Her stomach turned with knots, her nerves going way-hire. It was already mid-afternoon, three hours until she met with Mr. Andrews. It felt as though she could vomit as Tommy looked through some of her papers. A cigarette lay loosely in his fingers.

"There are extraordinary." He mocked, his voice deepened. He was mimicking Mr. Andrews. "He said that?"

Eve smiled, laughing a bit. "Yeah, he did."

"You are very good." Tommy whistled as he turned his chair around in a circle. It was a detailed drawing of the dining salon. "Down to every last detail. Very, very good."

"Thanks, Tommy."

Her eyes meet with Cora's parents. She glanced down at the small girl, who was sitting in Jack's arms, trying to draw.

"Cora, we have to go now. Say goodbye to Uncle Jack and Aunt Eve." The little girl's father says.

Cora stood up with a smile. "Bye, Uncle Jack, Aunt Eve."

Eve smiled at the girl as Jack said goodbye.
"Goodbye, Cora."

Suddenly, the salon became quiet, except for a few whispers. Eve looked towards the salon entrance and saw Rose coming down the stairs. A soft smile graced her lips as the redhead walked towards them with a sense of awkwardness. The third-class people whispered to one another as she passed them.

Eve nudged her brother and motioned toward the younger woman. Jack's eyes locked on Rose; he stood up as she stopped before him. Her hands clutched her small purse as the salon became loud again. Eve watched her brother and Rose talk, chuckling when she saw him swallow harshly. He was nervous.

"May I speak with you?" Rose asked.

Jack nodded. "Of course."

Rose glanced at Tommy, Fabri, and Helga, who were in awe of her. Eve had gone back to nursing her piece of bread and her drawings.

"In private." She concluded, her blue eyes turning back on Jack.

"Yes, of course," Jack says, taking his notebook out of his sister's hand. "I'll see you later, Eve."