007

MADE OF IRON-007

MADE OF IRON-007

Eve clutched Thomas's hand as they hurried down the corridor, dodging stewards. Both of them feared the worst, anxiety swimming inside of them as they walked with hast in their steps towards the wheelhouse.

Under Thomas's arms were four blueprints of the ship; his face was filled with dread as they climbed the A-deck stairs. When they got to the wheelhouse, they were met with officers speaking to one another before another officer and a man appeared.

Thomas started asking questions, never letting go of Eve's hand as they started towards the forward well deck. As he and a couple of crew descended the stairs, Eve saw her brother and Rose standing near the gate.

She let go of his hand, telling him to go ahead and wait for him here. Thomas nodded, following after the crew members.

"Eve, it's bad, isn't it?" Jack said, grabbing his sister by the arms.

He looked into her fearful eyes as she spoke. "Y-yeah. I think so. Thomas is going to check it out. I'll—Uh—shit."

Eve swallowed harshly, running a hand through her wavy hair. Uneasiness overwhelmed her body as Rose placed a hand on her arm. The older woman looked at the redhead, a reassuring smile on her lips.

"We'll meet you at the grand staircase," Rose says. "We have to tell my mother and Cal."

"Go," Eve said, her hand shaking as she motioned her brother to follow the redhead. "Go, Jack. I'll be fine. As Rose said, we'll meet at the staircase. Go."

Jack did not want to leave his sister but nodded anyway. He squeezed her shoulder before hurrying after his girlfriend. Eve paced, her arms crossed her chest, waiting for Thomas and the others to return.

Her eyes landed on the large pieces of ice scattered across the deck. People were kicking it around, having fun, not realizing what happened.

The voice of the Captain and Thomas echoed as they climbed the stairs. Eve stopped pacing, grabbed her lover's outstretched hand, and followed after them. In the wheelhouse, Thomas let go of her hand, unraveled a blueprint, and set it on the table.

Eve stood in the doorway, her hand clutching the side of the door. Behind her were a few officers, while the Carpenter John Hutchinson (she recognized from the newspapers), Ismay, and Captain Smith were standing near Thomas.

Next to her stood First Officer William McMaster Murdoch; he looked scared to death, with beads of sweat running down his face.