Howell x fem!reader

(Requested over on ao3!)

It wasn't a secret to anybody on the island that you were fit, that you worked out. You've been working hard with coming up with your own routine, and once you found what worked for you, you've been going at it until you were in good shape, but you didn't give up on it, no, you kept going, maybe not as intensely as before, but you still worked out.

Some of the people on the island were kind of jealous of how fit you were, while most others either didn't care or admired you. However, there was one in particular that was both jealous of you, but admired you as well. And that was Howell Wizard. He's tried to approach you on more than one occasion, but he just can't seem to talk to you, which was odd for him. His siblings have definitely noticed this and were now dead set on helping him talk to you.

However, several of these tactics have failed and now he's onto their crazy idea of getting him to talk to you, so he's been kind of avoiding them for a bit until they stopped. Howell had decided to head down to the beach for his usual exercise routine, carrying his boombox like usual. Though, unlike usual, there was someone already there. Howell was a bit thrown off by this, but he was not going to let this distract him from his workout. He shrugged it off and went over to his usual spot, which just happened to be closer to where the other person was doing their own workout, Howell realized.

Wait, she looks familiar... Howell thought as he looked back over at the (h/c) girl. It took him a few moments to realize: oh wait, that's y/n!

You, on the other hand, had not even noticed that he was there, since you were rather focused on your workout, listening to your music as you did whenever you worked out. You were usually out here earlier, but you had kinda overslept and hadn't realized it until the sunlight was shining in your face. Oh well, at least no one else came over to the beach this early in the day. Or at least, that was what you thought, anyways.

Howell was a little unsure whether to turn on his boombox or not, since he did not want to disturb you. Unfortunately for him, as he was setting it down since it was getting a bit heavy for him to just keep holding like that, he accidentally clicked a bit and a loud voice boomed from the speakers, which caught him and yourself off guard. Howell immediately scrambled to turn it off, which he did, but not without alarming you. You turned to face him, turning your music down/off and removing your headphones/earbuds.

"I am so sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you..!" You giggled a bit at this and shook your head.

"Nah, it's alright. I'm uh, usually here earlier in the morning but I overslept! Haha, I'm sure you probably don't care about that," You rubbed the back of your neck as you laughed a bit nervously, "anyways, my name's Y/n, and you are..?"

"Oh, uh, my name's Howell. I run the cat cafe with my siblings."

"I have been down there before! I haven't been able to go in yet since I've been a bit busy, but I've seen the cats from the window and they're so cute!"

"Well, would you maybe.. want to go in and meet the cats..?"

"I would love to! How about after we finish our workout?"

"You... want to workout with me..?"

"Well, sure! I had actually been out here only a few minutes, so I wasn't really finished up yet."

"Oh, alright then." Howell then proceeded to hit the play button on the boombox, and the two of you began your little duo workout, you two occasionally talking a bit and getting to know each other.

~~small timeskip brought to you by cats~~

You were now walking down to the cat cafe with Howell, the two of you talking and laughing a bit as you walked. He had admitted to you about how he's been wanting to talk to you since he's seen you around, and the fact that you're so fit made him admire you, which made you a bit flustered.

"Here we are." You looked in front of you to see the cafe that you had passed by several times. Howell opened the door for you and you both walked inside. A few of the cats had looked over as you two had walked in.

"They're so cute!" You walked away from the door and sat on the floor and several of the cats just came running on over. Howell sat down beside you as you now had cats climbing on you.

"I am sorry about them, they're not usually like this with new people, but.. then again, they do get attached."

"Is that so?" You asked as you were petting a ginger cat's head.

"Yeah, they get attached to people easily, especially those who come in often."

"Well I suppose I'll have to come in more often."

"Wha- you'd do that?"

"Of course! You're really nice and I like talking to you, and the cats are really sweet." This brought a faint blush to his face as he rubbed the back of his head.

"I'm really glad you think so, Y/n..!" You giggled a bit at this and nodded.

"I think we're going to be great friends, Howell."

"I think so, too."

You two spent the rest of the afternoon at the cat cafe, just chatting away and playing with the cats until it was time to close for day. You two exchanged phone numbers and had agreed to meet up again the next day for another work out, and to just hang out. You knew this was going to be the start of an interesting, yet great, friendship. And who knows, maybe there would be something more.