Chapter 18: Odd Behaviors

My hand was hurting from the hard punches I gave that bastard prince. He threatened me and my girl, and no doubt my sister was also within his reach if he decided to retaliate.

"What came over you?" Melanie asked, calmly, which surprised me.

"He threatened to take Melanie from me and said he could do it without lifting a finger! I'm not one to take threats likely."

"Faisal, you're a prince, a Sheikh. You have to start behaving as such!"

"I don't want any of this!" I looked at her sternly. "I did not ask for this nor did I ever imagine any of this!"

"Look, I'm your sister and I love you. But you have to start taking responsibility for your actions and accept whatever destiny you've been given!"

Her tone was cold, not freezing, but not warm. She was serious and I almost did not recognize her.

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying you need to start acting like what you are, a Prince. You represent this Emirate and while I am not trying to be cruel, that's the reality of what your life is now."

"Wow, and here I thought you'd still be the same person I always knew."

"I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. I'm being realistic and honest and if that seems cruel to you, you have to learn to take what comes to you."

"Are you even hearing yourself?'

"Yes, I am. I am telling you this for your own good. You are Sheikh Faisal Al Maktoum and you are the son of the heir apparent for this emirate!"

The way she kept repeating the word 'Emirate' really made me shake inside. She was being cold and not at all like my sister. It was as if she had gotten body snatched and was taken over by something or someone else. Almost as if my grandpa was somehow controlling her because Piper was never like this with me.

She always had my back and I had hers. We were there for one another and she was the one who used to help me get past our mom's cruel treatment of me.

"Think about it!" Melanie said in that sudden nonchalant tone.

She was suddenly behaving like someone who took no nonsense.

"Piper, what's gotten into you?" Melanie demanded, looking at her as if she did not recognize her.

She was not the only one.

"I'm trying to reason with him. He can't be acting and thinking with his fists like he usually does and the sad reality is that he is a Sheikh and he's gonna have to start behaving as such!"

"Get out of my face!" I told her.

"Excuse me?!" Piper looked at me with surprise.

"What you heard!" I looked her directly in the eye, holding back the tears that wanted to spill out of my eyes. "I could have taken it like a soldier had you told me I was an idiot for tossing my fists in the air but you telling me I have to succumb to a life I never asked for nor would I have ever wanted, is beyond me!"

"Life is not a joke, it's a reality. You have to get used to it."

"Then I guess you're not the sister I knew! You can go back to LA with mom since it's quite clear I don't have you for any kind of support."

"Okay, now you're being dramatic!"

"Whatever, Piper. I'm going to figure out a way to relinquish this title if it's the last thing I do! I don't want this life and I don't want to represent anything or anyone. Not even this emirate because this life is not for me!"