Chapter 2: Doped

The next morning I woke up rather rested and my little cat Oreo was sitting on his little bed. It was also somewhat of a cool morning, which was odd given that it was already July and it was summer. I kind of expected it to be in the nineties or the triple digits, but the weather was rather pleasurable.

The door busted wide open and it didn't take me long to know it was my mom who had busted in. Now, it was time to see what she was about to blast me about.

"Good morning to you too" I said.

"Quit being smart!" she warned in a less than friendly voice. "Is it true you went to Tijuana all by yourself?"

That was when I got up. I seriously doubted Piper would so much as tell her a lie when I had told her I had gone with my cousins and my aunt and uncle. I was hardly alone over there.

"Who said I went alone?!"

"Never mind who. Did you?!"

"No, and once again, who told you I went alone?!"

"Your sister told me you went!"

"Did she also tell you I went with tío and tía?! As well as with Chris and Katrina?!" I snapped.

"I tried to tell you he went with them but you lost it before I could finish telling you!" Piper walked in, angry at my mom for having overreacted. "He didn't go alone. He's not stupid!"

"Either way, he went without my permission!" my mom tried to justify.

"And last I checked, I am old enough to take care of myself!" I got up and faced her. I was sick and tired of her constant attacks and her always making me out to be the bad guy. "I'm an adult, I'm eighteen years old, and last I checked I'm the one who's looked out for myself because you've never so much as paid attention to me, ever!"

"Oh, I've paid attention to you and your antics. Getting into fights at school and screwing up in every aspect of the word!"

"Yeah, I defended myself against bullies trying to mess with me, and I will do it again if it repeated itself!"

"Are you hearing yourself?!" my mom looked at me even more angrily.

"Yeah, quite well if you ask me!" I looked at her directly in the eye. "And I find it ridiculous that you're over here making a storm in a cup of water for nothing! I went with family, which translates to me not having gone alone!"

"But you went without my permission!" she insisted.

"Maybe, when I was underage it would have been ok, but it's not anymore! And if I feel like going to TJ again even alone, then I will go! End of story!"

She slapped me so hard, I fell and smacked the top of my hand against the sharp edge of my nightstand. I felt the pain piercing me all the way inside. I even felt weird electrical and tingling sensations, followed by intense numbness and pain. It was obvious I had smacked a nerve because this did not feel normal in the least bit.

"Are you ok?!" Piper ran over to me.

"I'm fine, I think I smacked a nerve cause I can't even feel my hand" I felt the weirdest sensation. Again, a mixture of numbness but pain deep within my hand. It almost felt as if maybe it was carpal tunnel or something. Only it wasn't.

My mom walked out, leaving me and my sister. I felt my hand pulsating in excruciating pain. I had no clue what to do because the pain was making it almost difficult for me to even so much as breathe.

"Get me a cup of ice water, please!" I practically gasped.

Moments later she came and immediately I walked into my bathroom and slowly poured it over my aching hand. I felt as it froze my hand and tried my best to deal with that pain along with the pain from the injury. After freezing my hand for far too long, I turned on the hot water and allowed it to defrost my hand. I then put cold water in it all over again and again after, repeated the same step in letting hot water drench it. I felt the stiffness loosening up, as well as feeling a measure of relief from the pain. I still had a hard time moving my hand, but it was nowhere near as bad as it had been initially.