Chapter 5: Permanent Vacation

Saeed Hilal picked us up from the hotel and drove us to Nad Al Sheba palace, Sheikh Hamdan's residence. My sister and I looked at our mom and Saeed Hilal having a serious session of catch up. At this point – now knowing my mom's affiliation with the Sheikh – the surprise of her talking to him like she knew him her whole life, began to fade.

            I was suddenly very curious to know what kind of friendship she had with the Crown Prince of this emirate. It was quite obvious that she knew him very well and that they were quite close at one point.

            "Is it just me or is mom seriously holding back on critical info?" I asked, watching her from the backseat as she chatted with Saeed as if they were old pals.

            "She's definitely holding back. I had no idea she was friends with the Sheikh and now she's having a rather chummy conversation with his bodyguard?" her expression incredulous. "I'm not one bit surprised if she dated him."

            "What? Saeed or the Sheikh? Cause you're being a little too ambiguous" I stifled a laugh.

            "Sheikh Hamdan" she gave me a nudge.

            "Mom and the Sheikh?" I looked at her sarcastically. "That'll be the day."

            "Mom is still young and pretty. She looks more like our older sister than our mom."

            "And I hate that it appears that way. The last time someone asked me if he could have 'my sister's' number, I almost decked him."

            "And what stopped you?" she looked at me curiously, cause she knew what my temper was like and how easily my fists started to swing in all directions.

            "Gabe. Otherwise, I would have broken both his nose and my fists – all at once."

            "Gabe's always been able to keep you on a short leash. I admire him greatly for that."

            "Yeah well, he's the best. Kinda wish he was here to give me a hand with this trip and this dinner I am so not looking forward to."

            "Hey, it probably won't be that bad."

            "Piper, we're having dinner with royals and the Crown Prince of the emirate we are currently standing on, will also be there. How the hell are we supposed to act?"

            "I'm sure you can just be yourself. Besides, I've done research on Faz and he seems like a family type of guy, loves kids, writes poetry like someone I knew" she chuckled and I gave her a pointed look.

            "Faz?" I gave her a stupefied look. "You're calling him Faz?"

            "Yes, but you're missing the point."

            "And your point is?"

            "I looked at his Instagram."

"You mean you were Instagram stalking him?"

"Whatever... my point is...I'm sure he won't harm you if you don't have royal etiquette. Besides, I have a feeling he's fond of you."

            "And how'd you figure that one out?"

            "Just the way he looked at you when we met him."

            "If he's friendly and loves kids, I'm sure that's just part of his nature. I doubt he has any special fondness for me. I mean, why would he? He doesn't know me enough to develop even a gram of it."