Chapter Sixteen: What the fu-

Annalise 

Annalise froze. Noise around her faded. Everything slowly narrowed to this one moment in time. She looked down to her hands. Then back up to Eugene, eyes not blinking once. Gene had also been covered in the worst of it, being just as close to the epicentre as she had been. Though he didn't seem bothered by the blood matting his hair, he seemed more confused than anything.

His normally blonde hair had been dyed almost black by the lumps of blood and entrails, causing it to stick uncomfortable on his forehead. Her eyes drifted over to Cassius this time. The vampire was a lot less drenched then her and Gene, but he hadn't been missed entirely. Amongst the dark red that coated his jacket, spots of pearly white blobs stuck to him.

Bones.

Her breath began to quicken, her throat tightening to the point that she could barely breathe. Annalise looked back down to her hands. She could barely control the incessant shaking. Coated. Head to toe, coated in blood like it was a second layer of skin.

Her mouth fell open in a soundless scream.

Water began to build behind her eyes, and all of a sudden she felt pathetic. She had killed in hell. Albeit they were resurrected, but the intent behind it had been the same. She'd seen things she never knew were possible. Annalise hadn't passed through the Seven Trials of Hell through wit alone. That's just not what demons were made to do. They were far more sinister than this.

She should be able to deal with this.

It takes her a while to realise she'd begun to hyperventilate.

The bathroom door was thrown open, spurring the room into action. Shakily, she looked towards the door. Eiseth stood there, hand paused mid-rubbing her eyes, jaw hung open.

"What the actual fuck." Eiseth gapped. Those four, eloquent words pretty much summed up the whole entire day, Annalise thought.

In only seconds, but what felt like hours, everyone began to move. Bael, who had been behind her, darted out of the bathroom, quickly followed by Cassius. Whatever, or whoever had blown up Ronald probably wasn't far off them. She needed to move, she willed her legs to get up. To go

But she was rooted to the spot like concrete. Arms grabbed her by the armpits, heaving her upwards and out. Gene looked at her, eyes narrowed in worry and in fear. It was something she was unaccustomed to seeing in the man. It was exactly what she needed to get her to move.

She dashed into the living room, Gene's hands on her upper arm pulling her forward as they ran together. Bael stood sentry, looking out the windows from behind the curtains. Searching for something. Harvey had made his way out from the kitchen, the smell of eggs and bacon contrasting the sharp iron of blood.

The minute he locked eyes with his brother, the tea towel clutched in his hands fell to the floor. Hurriedly he dashed over to them. "What the fuck happened?" Harvey cursed, hands hovering awkwardly as he scanned them both over for injuries.

"Ronald. He blew up." Gene answered bluntly, hands tightening on her arm. Bile began to crawl up her throat as she envisioned the exact moment Ronald had been evisatreted into a thousand different pieces.

"I'm gonna vomit." Annalise murmured clutching her stomach, completely ignored by the Cubert brothers.

"Like he had a bomb on him and blew up?" Harvey questioned, squinting at Eugene in disbelief.

"He blew up Harvey. What more do you want me to say?" Gene replied, and the exact image repeated in her head once more. She groaned pathetically, gagging at the prospect.

"Both of you, shut up please." Annalise groaned. Gentilly, Eiseth pulled her away from the vampire and the witch, guiding her to sit down on the sofa. She flopped on it, with a disgustingly wet squelch.

"I'm just trying to figure out what happened," Harvey said defensively. "Are we safe? Have we been compromised?". There was no response, and the silence was all too telling. They didn't know. No one knew what had gone on, who had done this or what. Annalise's best guess would have been another supernatural, someone who didn't want them to know of the Rogues next moves.

But what kind of supernatural could blow someone up on the spot? Without even being in the same room as them. Annalise hadn't even known a demon who could be capable of such a thing, let alone a supernatural. 

"Now what are we going to do?" Harvey asked, looking around the room for answers. Eiseth went to hiss something at him, but Annalise tugged her back down. A soft look overcame the Succubus's face, and she gently removed some of the hair sticking to Annalise's face.

"I don't know." Gene said, finally showing the vulnerability hidden beneath his tight mask. It seemed these days, it was cracking more and more. "I don't know, Harvey. I don't even know what kind of supernatural could do that to someone. Let alone how they knew where we live!".

A butterfly's wings beating would be louder than the silence that followed.

 "What, what if we go back to the old house? Just in the meantime. While we figure out who did this." Surprisingly it was Cassius who broke the silence. It sounded like a fairly sane idea for the meantime, if only her father hadn't been there only months ago.

"We can't. Armarous, he knows where it is. It's eh, it's compromised?" Annalise interjected, her voice raising almost in a question towards the end. Gene nodded to her reassuringly.

"She's right. We can't go back. Not yet." Gene solidified, attempting to rub some of the blood from his eyes. All he ended up doing was smearing more of it on his face. Harvey coughed, drawing the room's attention to him. Even Bael, who'd still been looking out the windows suspiciously covered by his towel, turned to look at him.

"We can go back to my old house? You know the bungalow?" Harvey interjected. 

Authors note:

Hey guys! How have been? I hope you enjoyed this new chapter. Who do you think blew Ronald up? Or more precisely what blew him up? I'd love to hear your guesses! Also in relation to my last authors note, i will be making either a twitter or tiktok in the next coming weeks, and ill be sure to link it here when i have! 

Unfortunately, im not joking when i say this, i have broken my fingers. I locked them in the car door last week and spent a day in hospital, so its taking me a bit longer to write then it normally would lol. So updates may be a bit hectic or slower till they've healed a bit more. 

Thank you so much for reading once again! I love to see all your comments, i read them all even if i cant reply to them! 

Lots of love, 

Sam.E