Parent Issues

Photo from Alice Oseman's story This Winter
Tw: yelling, mention of depression & ED

The spring household was never perfect. Jane knew that  three kids was not going to be easy. Julio assured her it was going to be fine.

What the young couple did not expect was their second oldest Charlie, to have mental issues.

There was small hints when Charlie was little. Only about his OCD; he would organize his food, which drove Jane crazy. Julio would try to tell Charlie not to. But Jane never thought that Charlie would be struggling with an eating disorder and depression.

"I don't know what to do." Jane sighed. She snuggled into her husband as they sat on the couch. Julio rubbed Jane's side, he knew she was stressed out about Charlie.

"It will get better-" Julio tried.

"I don't want Charlie to end up doing something stupid since we didn't handle his mental health-" Jane rambled.

Julio interrupted her with a kiss. Jane grumbled and fiddled with his shirt.

"And now he's all obsessed with his boyfriend. At his age of 15, which I think is too young for-"

"Babe." Julio chuckled, "stop worrying." Jane was about to say something when Charlie walked through the front door just getting home. Jane froze as she realized that Charlie was wearing clothes a little to big on him; Nick's clothes. he was also a couple minutes late.

"Where have you been?" Julio started, raising an eyebrow.

Charlie set down his bag and took off his jacket. "Oh! At Nick's house. Sorry, I thought I texted you." He tried to walk upstairs.

Jane frowned and gently pulled Charlie back. "We aren't done talking." She said

Charlie froze and looked at her "am I in trouble?"

Jane sighed "we told you to text us where you are, especially if you are-"

"At Nick's?" Charlie finished,  annoyed. "Why especially? When Tori goes to Micheal's she doesn't have-"

"Because she's older." Julio interrupted. "You are a minor and still need to follow our rules."

"I forgot this one time!" Charlie was getting snappy. Jane did not like that.

"It actually wasn't just once. You didn't text us last week either." Jane reminded.

Charlie took off his shoes. "I'm Sorry." He huffed, clearly not meaning it.

"You are grounded for a week." Julio decided. Jane nodded in agreement at his decision.

Charlie had tears whelming in his eyes out of frustration. "For not TEXTING you!? Are you serious!?"

"we are serious." Jane rubbed her face. "Don't make this difficult Charlie."

"We have rules in this house that you have to follow,  including texting us where you are." Julio added.

Charlie rolled his eyes in response. The only reason he went to Nick's was because he had a bad day at school; Nick always made it better.

"I only went to nick's house because-" Charlie tried to explain.

Jane shook her head, she had enough. "No Charles, we have made our decision. Go to your room and give me your phone." She said sternly.

Charlie heaved his phone to the ground, rushing upstairs.

Charlie was having a hard time trying to tell them about his depression. Its gotten bad, to the point he was having a hard time eating. Nick was giving him advice on how to speak up.

"God." Jane sighed and leaned into Julio. "Were we to harsh?"

"Maybe we should have tried to let Charlie tell his side of the story next time." Julio suggested.

"I guess." Jane sighed and walked upstairs to apologize to Charlie. She peaked into his bedroom.

Jane felt her heart shatter as she saw Charlie. He was curled up in his bed crying.

"Bub I wanted to apologize for being so harsh earlier." Jane said, she walked over and sat besides Charlie.

Charlie sat up and wiped his eyes. He shrugged, "I get it I broke a rule." He sniffled.

Jane wiped Charlie's eyes gently. "Is that why you are crying or is there another reason?"

Maybe this is a good time to tell her. Charlie thought to himself. He looked at Jane "um, I've been meaning to talk to you and dad about something. I went over to Nick's today to get advice about it." He rambled.

Jane looked at her son in confusion as he took out a piece of paper.

"Nick suggested since I'm having so much trouble speaking about it. I write it down instead." Charlie handed Jane the paper nervously.

The letter:
Dear Parents,
I'm having a hard time telling you this. So I thought, well Nick thought it would be easier for me to write it down. I guess I'm just nervous about ur reaction? I know.
But the reason I've been so snappy or sassy is because I've been struggling. Struggling with my depression more then usual.
I think I want to get help, from a doctor or a therapist? I'm having more of a hard time with meals. I used to only be not able to snack without feeling guilty. But once it got to meals I knew that it was bad.
So I'm asking for help. I need help battling this mental illness. I can't do it alone.

Jane got teary eyes as she read the letter. She set it aside and hugged Charlie tightly.

"Oh bubba." Jane rubbed Charlie's back as he cried, out of relief that she now knows.

"Of course we can help you with that. You are never alone." Jane assured. "I'll show your father the letter. We will decide what's best for you."

Charlie smiled weakly with a sniffle. "Thank you mum. Am I still grounded?" he joked.

Jane chuckled and ruffled charlie's hair. "yes you are."