Chapter Thirty-Four

"I'll be outside, go on

"I'll be outside, go on..." Scott announced once we reached Nikolai's home.

I fiddled with my fingers resting on my lap. Nervousness crept up from the pit of my belly, I didn't want to see him, face him or talk to him after what he had done. I wanted to get away from him and never see his face again.

His words resonated in my mind. His shouts, his monstrous dark eyes.

“JUST STOP WITH YOUR FUCKING NIKOLAI BULLSHIT! CALL ME DON NIKO LIKE EVERYONE ELSE! FUCKING GIVE ME THE RESPECT A DON IS ENTITLED TO”

A shiver ran down my spine and I chewed on my bottom lips to keep the tears at bay.

“You weren't saying that three nights ago when begged me to fuck you like the whore you are”

He humiliated me, insulted me, and then left me alone for a week just to get engaged to some other woman. The woman he loved. That is why he didn't want me in the first place and I was too dense, too stupid to throw myself at him like that.

I mustered up some courage and nodded at Scott before I finally stepped out of the car.

I went inside and stilled as darkness welcomed me. There were no lights on in the house, and I didn't hear him, he must be in his study. That is where he always is.

But instead of going to his study, I trod upstairs. I needed to change out of this gown, I locked the door and headed to the bathroom to take a shower. I slipped off the dress and turned on the shower, setting it to hot. The warm droplets formed steam as I stood there without moving. I stepped under the shower and sighed. The water slowly warmed me, soothing the ache that clawed at my limbs.

After I was done with my shower, I wrapped a towel around myself and went to the closet. I pulled out some cozy pajamas and put them on.

I gazed at myself in the mirror. A pale, stupid girl looked back at me. I ignored how swollen my eyelids were from all the crying I did in the car. No matter how much I tried to avoid talking to him, I needed to get over with it. The longer I will stay away from him, the more it will hurt.

Heaving a sigh and pushing all the thoughts to the back of my mind, I descended the stairs and walked straight to his study. I didn't bother turning the lights on as I walked through the dark living room to get to his study.

I was aware that I'm weak compared to him, and I'm scared, but I'm not a coward. I won't stay here one more day and won't let him insult me the way he did ever again. I knocked on his door until I heard him telling me to come in.

I entered his study and stood by the door. I was suddenly reminded of the day when he first called me here. I didn't know him then... just like I didn't know him now.

Nikolai that I knew was just an illusion.

"Take a seat..." he ordered

I shook my head. "I'm fine"