CHAPTER 1

🍁

🍁

Ominous black clouds flew on the high giving away signs of forthcoming rain in the middle of the night. It was a dark rainy night. Skylight travelled faster than the sounds of nerve-racking thunderbolts.

A woman discreetly walked through the silent streets without looking back, the cold wind gushing through her body. She had to outsmart the black car that was tailing her, by ditching the vehicle she was travelling in, after running away with her son.

"Just a little more, I promise."

Drenched in rain, holding her nine-month pregnant belly, she calmly asked her twelve-year-old son to keep walking, who was worn out from running around and hiding for the last few hours.

"Alright, we will rest here for a while...ok?"

She read the exhaustion on his face and walked into a dark alley, hiding behind a huge trash barrel. She made him sit beside her gently caressing his back.

Fatigued and drained, she has not eaten or rested the whole day trying to save her family from getting killed by the people who assassinated her husband and his men. A lone tear escaped her eyes when that terrifying incident flashed across her memories.

Nine months ago, the day she discovered she was expecting her second child was the same day her husband was slaughtered in the middle of the streets by his enemies. His head was souvenired in a box as a token of warning to the head of the Kim family. She saw her husband's body split into pieces, and since then she started struggling with mental health issues such as anxiety and depression which later complicated her pregnancy. The only reason she didn't kill herself was her twelve-year-old son and the baby in her womb. She already lost the love of her life, now she cannot risk the safety of her son and her unborn child.

After sitting for a while, she felt an uncomfortable sensation in her lower abdomen. She respired long breaths to ease herself but before she could have the situation under control, she felt a gush of fluid flowing down her inner thighs. Her breath hitched, and by the time she realized her water had broken down, she was already holding her baby bump trying to suppress her painful whimpers.

The twelve-year-old Seokjin noticed the discomfort on his mother's face. He saw how tightly she was holding her belly while clenching her teeth together. Being intelligent, considerate and a brave son as always, he stood up and looked around to see if he could ask someone to help his mother.

He jogged towards the empty road waiting for any passing car which could take them to the hospital. He started waving his little arms in the air to every passer but no one stopped.

A big black limousine halted before he turned around to run back to his mother. A straight-faced giant man wearing a black suit hoped with an umbrella followed by another man. Seokjin immediately rushed towards them and held his hand pleading for help.

"Please...Please help my mom, she is in pain."

The two men looked at each other and then looked at the little boy wondering what is a child doing in the middle of the street at this time of night, all soaked in rain.

"Where is She?"

The older-looking man bowed down and asked, Seokjin quickly pulled him pointing towards the alley to see the pregnant woman screaming in her labour pain. He recognized the woman the moment her face came into view and ordered his men to carefully bring her to the car. As soon as they reached the hospital, she was taken to the ICU without any further delay.

"Have our men secure this place. If you find anyone lurking around suspiciously, Kill them."

He assertively ordered his most trusted subordinate Frank. In no time tight security was positioned in every single corridor around the ICU and outside the hospital.

The nurse guided Seokjin to the children's room to change into dry clothes as the poor boy was freezing. After two hours, the doctor came out removing her mask.

"Mr Jeon, the surgery went well, we were able to save the child. But...

This was already a complicated pregnancy for Mrs. Kim, she lost a lot of blood. I am afraid she won't be able to make it."

A sudden grief caught his heart for the woman he never met before. Though there was no rivalry between him and the Kims, they were not friends either. Still, he felt helpless for not being able to save a life instead of being the most powerful mafia. He couldn't even protect his own family, his wife who died saving their five years old son a month ago. Jeon Jaehan knew the Kim family had suffered enough already but fate has its ways.

He made his way inside to see the site of Seokjin crying looking at his mother while holding his newborn baby sister. She wiped his tears whispering something to his ears and shifted her eyes to see the man who helped them.

"Thank you"

She uttered with all the strength that was left in her before closing her eyes and forever drifting into peace. That is how life started with death.

🍁

  ______

Author: Thoughts & suggestions are welcomed since I am new to writing and learning.