En Arunthozhi: 2

This chapter is a continuation of the previous work En Arunthozhi: 2.

Disclaimer: This is a work of FICTION.

Since it's been a while since I provided updates, I highly urge you to revisit  Azhaipaayaa Azhaipaayaa chapters 3, 4 and 5 and En Arunthozhi:1 before you read this work.

As always, there's a note at the end of this chapter.

Dropping this earlier than planned :)

————————————————————————-

En Arunthozhi: 2

Tick-tock, tick-tock

Ashwin kept drumming his fingers to the sound from the wall clock in Shobana's office.

"Good morning Ashwin", Shobana addressed Ashwin who was seated on the three seater couch.

"Morning Shobana", Ashwin replied with a nervous smile.

"How are you doing?", she asked settling down opposite to him.

"Yeah, ok I guess" Ashwin replied a little uncomfortable with the small talk.

"Saapteengalaa? Breakfast?", Shobana asked turning on her tablet and setting it up.

"Yes. Neenga?" Ashwin asked a bit awkward.

"Oh yes, Sundays are usually special breakfast for the kids. Pongal, vadai ellam. Neenga Enna sapteenga?", Shobana asked him with her eyes still on the tablet.

Ashwin was a little confused. He wondered briefly how long were they going to indulge in small talk.

"Umm, yes, nothing special. Toast and eggs", Ashwin replied.

"Nice. Cook pannuveengala?", Shobana asked taking her focus away from the tablet.

"Umm yeah", Ashwin replied as he wondered if this was normal for therapies.

Smiling at him, Shobana asked the question he had expected to some extent but was still unprepared for "So, you mentioned you haven't met any therapist before me. And the marriage counseling, well, that was something which did not go as any of us expected it would. So, I'll tell you where we'll start. And we'll figure out what works for you. I have two questions for you, one- Tell me why are you here Ashwin and two- what do you hope to change or achieve from these sessions? And it can be as simple as I just need someone to talk to. It's not a test. Based on what you want, I can tailor our sessions. Stop me at any point if you have questions, if anything is overwhelming . Ok?"

Nodding his head, Ashwin spoke focussed nowhere in particular "I don't know why I'm here. As for the second question, I just want to be in a better place. I know I need help, but nothing makes sense. I just want to be in a better place, sort things out, for her, for my wife".

"The wife you wanted to divorce last Sunday? What changed? Why don't you want the divorce anymore?".

"I don't know. I think I made a mistake. I don't think.... I don't know", Ashwin answered confused and exasperated.

"I don't think? Puriyala? Can you vocalize that thought for me please? Only if you can", Shobana persisted.

"I don't know. I don't think I can .. I don't know Shobana. Isn't that why I'm here? I.. I don't think I can live away from her", he sighed.

"Fair enough. I just want you to know I can only work with you, in helping you to be in a better place. There is no magic pill to fix every relationship in your life. I don't have one. A therapy is just a tool to identify barriers in your life and come up with ways to navigate these barriers. Ok? And more than anything, your commitment is the only thing we need here. Let's start small. Usually I would start with something like what do you do now, a little bit about your upbringing, your interests, hobbies etc. But, let's push that for our next session. Tell me about your wife. Talk to me like you weren't here before. I haven't met her. I know nothing about her", Shobana asked.