Chapter 7...

I was blaming my tiredness for letting Logan stay and help me clean up. He did offer and the pile of dishes in the back were screaming that I needed help. I did warn him there was still a lot to do but he just shrugged and walked around the counter.

Now here we are elbow deep in cleaning, silence surrounding us. It was still awkward between us and I wasn't entirely sure how to break that. Of course I hated the silence but Logan didn't even seem fazed. I couldn't take it anymore.

"I'm surprised your aren't back in Albany." I commented, my back turned to him.

"Decided to take a little vacation."

"You a vacation?" I looked over my shoulder at him with a raised eyebrow. Logan has never been one to take a vacation or sit long enough to do anything. In the years I've known him he's always doing something. Rather that be working at the store or working side jobs to stay busy. I think it had to do with his time in the military.

I knew that was a taboo subject to talk about. My brother wouldn't talk about his time in the Marine's and I highly doubt Logan would either. Especially not with me.

"What are you doing for Christmas?" I changed the subject as I moved around the kitchen wiping the counters.

My brother tried a few times to get Logan to come to Aubrey's moms house for Christmas but he always declined and kind of went off grid until he randomly shows up on New Years Eve. It's weird thinking about it but I've known Logan for nine years and I barely know anything about him. I don't even know if he has any family.

I have tried to learn more and to get him to say stuff about himself but per Logan style he was very tight lipped. Tight lipped about everything.

"Not really sure." From the corner of my eye I saw him shrug. "Probably get some sort of takeout." At his words I whirled around and placed my hands on my hips.

"You are going to spend Christmas home alone with takeout? Seriously?" Logan looked over at me while he swept and shrugged again.

"Yeah?"

Christmas was a hard time for all of us but its not a holiday where you spend it alone. At least not on my watch.

"Yeah that isn't happening. You're coming with us." My tone left little room for argument.

"Coming with you?" He paused in his sweeping to stare at me like I had grown two heads.

"Yep. To Aubrey's moms in Rutland. You know the place we've tried inviting you to over the years."

"I know where it's at but why are you inviting me to go?" The look on Logan's face was almost like he couldn't wrap his head around my invitation.

"Because no one deserves to be alone on Christmas." I turned back around, feeling his eyes on my back. "That is unless you have plans on leaving soon." I didn't look over my shoulder at him, not trusting what would be written on my face.

Logan was quiet for a moment and I for sure thought he was going to turn me down. I don't know why but the thought of him doing so made my stomach sink.

"No. No plans." He finally answered, his voice gruff. The sound of the broom sweeping across the floor came a second later. All I could do was nod, still facing away from him. But I couldn't stop the small smile from tugging at the corner of my lips.

Well there goes my plan of avoiding him. Jess was going to have a field day with this one.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Thanks for helping me clean up. You really didn't have to." I reached for the stack of boxes when a hand beat me to it. The feel of Logan's arm brushing against mine made my mind momentarily stop working.