chapter fourteen

i woke up the next day scared to even open my eyes and find something terrifying in my living room. broken furniture. dead bodies. fake planted evidence. whatever the fuck.

instead, diego had made us breakfast and was looking at me with a smile, inviting me to eat.

-c'mon bry, don't overthink this. i promise we're gonna be fine. we'll deal with whatever comes when it comes, ok?

he was so calming. so caring. i knew he was scared too, but he put me first and was trying his best to make me feel safe and give me the illusion of normalcy for as long as we could make it last.

i hugged him tight and stayed in his arms for minutes, trying both to comfort him and reassure myself that it would all be ok if we had each other. but we were interrupted by the police bursting in the door.

-diego reyes, you are under arrest for the murder of laura angél. you have the right to remain silent. you have the right to an attorney, if you cannot afford one, one will be appointed to yoy. everything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

i felt tears streaming down my face as the cop read his rights. what the fuck were they doing? do they just barge into people's house with no evidence?

-let him go! he did nothing, what the fuck do you have on him? let my brother go!- i pleaded, crying even more and trying to get their hands off of him. but he didn't fight. he didn't protest.

-your brother's fingerprints were found on the gun responsible for the crime. i would stay out of the way if i were you.

what? what??? the whiplash made me dizzy and the tears made my head hurt. it was too much. i couldn't even stand on my feet. it's like everything was falling apart.

-bryana, it's fine. you don't need me, you're the strongest person i know. you're gonna be fine. i love you. i love you so much. - he said, a tear streaming down his face, while i just fell to my knees and sobbed.

                                  .     .     .

i got in my car and went straight to billie's place immediately after. my eyes were so blurry i could barely see the road but i also didn't really care what happened to me.

i knew the gang needed me. knew they would be lost and confused and scared. but i had my own shit to deal with. i couldn't think when my brother was in jail.

when i arrived i saw billie inside her car, about to start the engine, but she got out the car the second she saw me.

-baby, i was just coming to see you! - she wrapped me in her arms and ran her fingers through my hair. - i heard the news and got so scared... please tell me you're okay.

-diego... he got taken by the cops this morning- i tried to say without crying, but my voice failed and i shut up after that.

-was it because of..?- she asked hesitantly.

-yeah. he was arrested for her murder. - i sighed and wiped my tears, putting myself back together. - he didn't do it, bil, i swear. i just know it wasn't him...

-heyyy, hey! look at me - she pulled up my chin. - you dont need to convince me. i'll always believe you. i am always on your side.