10- A Crack In The Glass (2)

DAPHNE

"what are you punishing me for?!"

I tear my eyes open forcefully, breathing heavily. I can't take this. I need to help Dagon. I need a plan though.

I check the time, it's three o'clock. Will he be awake? The King drugged him in the afternoon and it's 2 a.m I'm not sure he has regained consciousness. Ugh!! I pull at my hair.

I climb off the bed and grab my sweater from the sofa. Putting it on, I walk out of the room cautiously. I turn on my phone torch and navigate my way through the halls. I hear maids and guards moving about, how did I forget these people are vampires? I pray none of them see me or hear me.

I easily find my way to the cell Dagon is locked in because I have a good memory. My eyes widen when I find that there's no guard outside the cell. Hmmm. I walk towards the cell and I see Dagon, both of his hands are chained to opposite sides of the wall but he isn't alone. Nikola and Alma are there. There's a bulb in the cell preventing the darkness.

"I will talk to father. I won't let him keep you here" his older brother states. I doubt Nikola will be able to convince the King though after all he couldn't do anything when he drugged Dagon.

"Kaida-"

"She's fine just worry about yourself first. I don't know why you had to argue with the King" Alma mutters in a motherly tone.

"I thought Marilla was here" Nikola says.

"I sent her away"

"If I could release you I would but going against father-"

"Don't spoil your good son image for my sake"

"Dagon" Nikola scolds.

"In a few hours you'll be out here, don't worry" Alma says before turning to leave. I quickly hide behind a wall. She walks past without looking back, Nikola closes the gate and follows after her. Phew.

Okay, I'll free him and the King will be upset but he won't punish me because I look like my grandmother. What is wrong with me and using the fact that people need me to my advantage? Anyways, Dagon saved my life despite my stubbornness. He shouldn't be in here.

I open the gate and walk in.

"I tied you up when you first got here and now I'm chained up, you must be here to gloat"

I glare at him. He can't say any nice thing from that mouth of his?

"Shut up" I state, walking towards the first chain to unlock it. I unlock the first one and move to the second one.

"What are you doing?!"

"Saving your ass...if you didn't have vervain in your system you would have freed yourself but since you're weak, allow me save you"

"So, I should thank you?! I saved your life when you foolishly went out at night alone"

I pause. Is he serious?!

"I was foolish? Do you think I would just run off alone at night for no reason?! The man said he knew something about my parents!" I yell in frustration.

How dare he call me foolish? And to think I'm even helping him. If it wasn't for my conscience constantly nagging me to help him, I would have left.

"Well then maybe you shouldn't be too desperate to find out the truth. Maybe you should let go. It's dumb holding on to the past" he declares.

"Then you should let go of your mother!" I retaliate. His dark expression soon makes me regret saying that. But he has no right to tell me to let go.

"You were eavesdropping" he murmurs.

"Yes, I was. By chance"

"I don't need you to save me, get out" he pushes me backwards with his free hand causing me to fall on the ground. He doesn't have to be so mean. I wonder if I scraped my arm.

"Well, get out" he asserts.

"I don't remember ever obeying you" I mutter, unlocking his other hand

"I said-"

"Try sucking up your pride, you might live longer" I interrupt. I free his hand and I'm greeted by a glare.

"When I overheard your conversation with your father it was because I wanted to thank you for saving my life. So, here it is. Thank you." I utter. I turn to leave but he stops me, grabbing my arm.

I watch his features, his expression changes to ond of hesitation.

"Thank you, Daphne. Nikola couldn't help because he was too afraid to go against our father but you came here, why?"

His blue eyes gazes into my brown ones. His eyes are beautiful. Wait, what am I doing? I slap myself internally. I need to focus. Should I tell him the truth?

"I couldn't sleep...not after what I saw"

He nods. I expect him to say something or leave but he keeps staring at me like he's trying to figure me out. Like I'm a puzzle.

"We have saved each other, doesn't that make us friends?" I say awkwardly to lighten up the mood.

He cocks an eyebrow at me.

"Friends? Really? Is that the conclusion you can come to after all the fights we've had?"

"It doesn't seem odd, does it? A vampire and a human?"

"It doesn't" he agrees. I smile softly. What on earth?! We went from yelling at each other to friends?! And why am I smiling?! I need to get myself together. I need to ignore his dark hair and impossibly gorgeous features... especially his damn blue eyes.

A faint blush appears on my cheeks when I realize I'm still staring at him. Shit. He definitely noticed I was staring but he says nothing. I'm surprised he didn't say something cocky or asshole-ly. I turn around, walking out of the dungeon. What on earth? Releasing a deep breath, I release all the tension in my muscles as well. At least I helped him.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Please don't forget to vote, share, comment and follow me here on Wattpad.

Xoxo.