6. Swan's Residence

(General POV)

Charlie Swan and Alan Moore left the hospital immediately after the latter was discharged and the two drove straight to the nearest shopping centre where Charlie brought Alan to a clothing store.

Inside, Alan was allowed to choose his clothes. He chose three sets of casual outfits, two sets of sleepwear, and one outfit for a fancy occasion.

At first, Alan was hesitant to pick his own clothing for fear of spending too much money but Charlie informed him that the money that was going to used came from the government and not out of Charlie's own pocket. Since Charlie was technically now his foster parent, he was entitled to receive payment from the government which is to be used on Alan.

After Alan heard this, he felt relieved and didn't hesitate any longer. Just to be on the safe side, he didn't choose anything too expensive and instead chose the simplest items to keep the cost as low as possible.

He was still just a 12-year-old boy. There was no need to spend extravagantly on a kid.

It's not like he was looking to impress anyone.

After Alan picked out his clothing items, Charlie paid for it at the counter and two left the store and dumped the bags in the car. Charlie then brought Alan to a shoe store where Alan picked out some sneakers.

Once the shoes were paid for, it was time to get some daily necessities such as a toothbrush, hair comb, school supplies, etc.

Charlie secretly checked his list of things to buy before ticking each item off. He made sure nothing was missed before taking Alan home.

****

(First Person POV)

Our shopping trip went well.

Glancing at the bags sitting next to me in the backseat of Chief Swan's police car, I was satisfied. Most of the stuff I got was cheap and affordable. I didn't dare demand too much because I wasn't sure how much money the government gave the Chief.

But was I satisfied with what I got.

After we got back to the car, Chief Swan immediately took us to his house in the suburban neighbourhood outside the town.

The car pulled up on the driveway and came to a stop. I undid my seatbelt and opened the door, stepping out on the concrete path. Still holding the door open, I glanced up at the two-story house which looked exactly like the one in the movie. The house was quite a memorable one - aside from the Cullen's residence of course.

"Bring your bags, let's go in."

Chief Swan's voice snapped out of my thoughts and I hastily gathered as many bags as I could and followed the tall man to the front door where he placed the key in the hole and turned it.

The door opened with a slight creak.

I followed the man inside and took a minute or so to look around the house curiously. Although many details are pretty vague regarding the movie, the interior definitely felt familiar. Much like everything else I'd seen so far, no doubt this living room was the exact same one from the movie.

"It's nice," I said honestly.

Chief Swan snorted, "It's old."

True. But it had a weirdly comforting atmosphere. I say 'weird' because Charlie Swan is far from the word 'comfortable'.

Besides, although the house was old, it's clear that it was well looked after.

"Come. I'll show you to your room," the man said.

I nodded and carried the bags, trudging up the stairs behind him.

He led me to an empty room that had a single bed in it along with a dressing table and wardrobe. It wasn't decorated and was completely bare.

"You'll stay here. There's nothing much here because it was just a storage room until yesterday. You decorate how you want later," he explained.

"Ah, I got it. Thanks," I responded lightly.

I wasn't surprised that he didn't let me stay in Bella's room. I was just a strange boy who appeared out of nowhere. There's no way he'd want me to stay in his precious daughter's bedroom.

Don't get me wrong though. I was fine with this arrangement.

Actually, I preferred it. I would've definitely been super uncomfortable staying inside the protagonist's bedroom. And a girl protagonist at that. It just wouldn't feel right, you know?

"Leave the bags here. I'll show you around now," Chief Swan told me.

I responded with a nod and placed the bags on top my bed before trailing behind him out the door.

He showed me the bathroom, the kitchen, the living room, the laundry, and finally, the small backyard.

When the tour was done, he set a few ground rules.

1. If I don't know where something is, ask.

2. Don't go into Bella's bedroom.

3. Lights out at 9:30 PM. No loud noises after 10 PM.

4. Don't open the door to strangers.

5. No going out without letting him know first and getting permission.

Other than those five, there was nothing else. I didn't find the rules very strict. As far as I was concerned, it could've been far worse.

I was someone who knew boundaries and I definitely wasn't brave enough to push Chief Swan's buttons.

Yes, I had special abilities but I still respected the man. I wouldn't dare use my bending skills on him no matter how angry I could get. Then again, I had already made a promise to myself to never use my ability on humans. My flames were reserved ONLY for the supernatural.

My fists, once trained, would be good enough for humans.

Speaking of training, I planned to start working out as soon as possible. Currently, my body lacked strength and stamina which I would need to utilise my bending. Although the movements of bending fire were ingrained in my body, that didn't mean my body was trained for it.

Other than that, I wanted to train my strength outside of using my firebending skills. Just to be prepared for anything.

After all, this was a world filled with supernatural beings.

One can never predict what will happen when these beings are involved.

****