9. It's Time for School

(First Person POV)

So, Charlie had some devastating news for me.

"School begins next month. I've enrolled you at our local middle school," he told me this morning.

Hence, the devastating news.

Just the thought of going through that torture again was enough to make me hurl. However, throwing a tantrum and begging not to go would obviously not bode well for me so I could only accept my pitiful fate.

One may think I was being a little overdramatic but seriously, who would want to go through 'those' years all over again?

The name 'Cullens' crossed my mind.

Now that I think about it, why the hell were hundred-year-old vampires attending high school? Couldn't they have...I don't know... start an underground empire or something? Or were they so bored with life that witnessing teenagers go through the ups and downs of high school seemed interesting?

I snorted at the idea.

They must have their reasons but I still find it weird.

But Cullens aside, I was not looking forward to next month. Apart from the fact of not wanting to go through schooling all over again, I was depressed that my training time would be cut short as would my time hanging out with Jacob.

I sighed, "He's lucky to be home-schooled."

"What was that?"

Charlie looked up from his plate of food hearing my mumbling. I coughed and shook my head, "Sorry. Just talking to myself."

He nodded, "Oh."

I let out a quiet sound of relief.

****

Four weeks later...

"School huh, that sucks."

Jacob threw a potato chip in his mouth and crunched on it. He reached over for another when I swatted his hand away.

"Dude, you have your own packet like right in front of you," I scowled unhappily.

Jacob showed me his empty packet, shaking it upside down in the air.

"Unbelievable..." I muttered.

He ended up stealing two more chips much to my annoyance.

The two of us were currently sitting on a park bench, eating snacks after playing some basketball on the nearby court. As usual, the sky was covered with clouds and the air was cool and windy. However, since I had just played, I couldn't feel the cold just yet.

"But seriously Alan, I totally forgot you needed to go to school like me," Jacob was saying.

"Why's that? I'm a kid aren't I?"

"Well yeah but sometimes, it just feels like you're older...you know? I'm not sure how to say it," Jacob mumbled the last bit.

A drop of sweat slid down the side of my face - and no, it was not sweat from exercising my body. Here I thought I've been acting well but it seems I've still managed to slip up a few times.

Coughing to hide my nervousness, I said, "I'll take that as a complement."

Jacob merely rolled his eyes in response, "Of course you would."

I shoved his arm jokingly and the two of us burst into chuckles.

Glancing at my watch, I sighed, "It's time for me to leave. School starts tomorrow and Charlie wants to have a 'talk' with me. He's probably worried about me fitting in."

Jacob snorted, "If he knew the real you, he wouldn't be worried at all."

I smirked and grabbed my bag before waving goodbye to him.

"See you later Jacob!"

****

Charlie did indeed have a talk with me that night.

He just went over a couple of things about school, making friends, listening to teachers and all the usual yada-yada stuff. I listened for the most part but sort of zoned out when he began a rant on how it was okay not to fit in on the first day.

For a guy who hardly spoke, he sure spoke a lot when he wanted to.

Personally, I wasn't too nervous about school. I was annoyed that I had to go but I wasn't scared or anything. I mean...how dangerous could a bunch of kids be?

But, I don't think it should be too difficult to fit in.

Kids are easy to get along with once you know what their likes and dislikes are. At least...that's what I think.

Standing in front of the school gates, I glanced up at the not-so-big building and exhaled before walking inside.

Beside me, Charlie was looking around, seemingly for the office.

"It's this way," I said pointing at the map at the entrance and then in the direction.

Charlie followed my line of sight and nodded, "Oh. Right. Let's go."

Eventually, we found the Principal's office where Charlie and I entered.

****

(General POV)

After the talk with the Principal, Charlie mumbled a stiff goodbye before taking off to work leaving Alan standing alone in the hallway.

The boy looked at his schedule before walking toward his locker where he used the given combination to unlock it and throw in the stuff he didn't need.

Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a basketball hurdling toward him prompting him to lean forward, letting the ball pass behind his head.

"Oh, sorry!"

A young voice yelled out. The voice belonged to a boy with brown hair and eyes. He jogged over to Alan and awkwardly apologized.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to throw it you."

Alan didn't think he was lying judging by the kid's sincere expression. Thus, instead of getting mad, he smiled and replied, "It's fine. A warning would've been nice though."

"Haha~" the boy chuckled nervously. Then, he stuck out a hand, "I'm Sean. Sean Wells."

Alan shook his hand, "Alan Moore."

"New kid huh? Hey, if you need someone to show you around, you can ask me."

This Sean guy was the friendly type it seemed.

Alan nodded with a grin, "Sure. Actually, I could use some help right now."

"Oh? What class you looking for?" Sean asked picking up the basketball and tucking it under his arm.

Alan showed him his schedule and Sean's face brightened.

"Looks like we have the same schedule! Follow me young one," Sean patted his chest with a closed fist.

"Young one?" Alan muttered. Really, who was the real 'young one' between them?

****